4th wedding - critique please

swphotos

I have never assisted anyone for doing wedding photography and I'm trying to improve my trade. I would very much

appreciate comments/critiques on how I'm doing. The bride and groom liked these, so that's important, but that

doesn't mean I can't improve, right? I'm not a subcriber, so I couldn't upload any more photos, but hopefully

this is a good sample. Thanks for your help!

http://www.photo.net/photos/swphotos

I would have looked for a different angle in the 5th and 6th ones. The 5th one, the church spire background is very distracting around the focal point, which is the kiss... 6th one the tree background is similarly distracting...

I really like the door shot, and it would be perfect, except again the edge of the door cutting down behind the groom's face is a bit distracting.

The first (posed) shot is focused on the plants behind the couple I think... did you use an AI auto focus type setting?

I like your sense of style in these photos. A little more care with backgrounds, and a little more care with focus (single auto focus spot on the eye + recompose after focus lock) and you will be all set.

good pose on the 1st one, but watch the focusing.

2nd one: You definitely could've taken advantage of the reflection a little more. Would've liked a vertical shot here showing the entire structure in the background. would've like to have seen them kissing. Looks like this one wasn't planned. This one would be nice in sepia with slight vignettes annd maybe crop it to focus on the couple and the reflection a little more.

3rd one: I like.

4th one: I like. Might want to center the bouquet a little more.

5th one: I like. Can't think of any suggestions but I'm sure someone better than me could

6th one: I think it would've been nice to close up your aperture and get the castle in the background in focus. You made the effort to get the whole thing in the picture, so why blur it out? I think it would add to the scene.

The poses are very good and the technical aspects are fine but the cropping is too tight. The cropping makes it hard to sense the place where the wedding took place, and this is important to the couple that chose that particular location.

Tight cropping also makes it difficult if not impossible to later use a 2:3 ratio image in a 8x10 or 11x14 print without cutting off part of a body or further removing the location elements from the image. One can always crop later in PS but it is impossible to add back in what was eliminated from the shot at the time it was taken.

Thanks so much for your advice so far! I hadn't thought about taking wider shots to save them for 8 x 10 crops. That's a very good point. The second pic was unplanned. I took others that were vertical and more focused on the couple and their reflection, but I thought this one showed my style better. Good advice though. Keep it coming! :)

Photo #1: Way too soft and OOF, needed some fill light.

#2: Would have been very nice.....if it didn't have the lens flare.

#4: The bouquet is too soft/OOF.....I understand that the B/G were intentionally OOF but the bouquet should have

been much more in focus.

#5: I liked this one.

#6: Lack of fill light resulting in unacceptable shadow on their faces. Interesting and pleasing composition though.

If you're serious about shooting weddings as a pro I would suggest pro training, apprenticing, networking with local

pros and joining PPA and/or WPPI.

1. Looks very soft or OoF, or both.

Lighting: It is like there is a little Flash fill but only enough to blow the some of the Dress, or the Dress might have

been taken out (a little) in Post Processing, what ever the case the result is what looks like an image which is flatly

lit: perhaps there was too much flash fill and you knocked back the Contrast and Brightness in PP.

2. Lens Flare, IMO this image should not be considered for B&G viewing.

3. Interesting Composition: consider reversing the B&G, giving the 3/4 Profile to the Bride. I do not think the 3/4 crop

works, a slightly higher camera viewpoint and an half shot might be a better consideration, especially as you wanted

to work a wide FL for the composition, moving slightly higher would have avoided or negated the barrel distortion,

which IMO detracts. I like the attempt.

4. The Plane of Focus is in front of the centre of the Bouquet, and the DoF is not enough to accommodate the

bouquet, which kinda kills the idea a bit.

The framing / composition, is a bit hackneyed, IMO. Consider a more adventurous composition like #3, and have the

B&G background & Camera Right, (there is a neat little space for them) and re frame to get that horrible blown white

sky out of it.

5. This image is nice: following my comments from # 4. I think taking a more adventurous approach would work here

too, camera viewpoint slightly camera left, making a nice spot for the B&G camera right and the triangle of light leads

the eye in and the building stands separate.

Consider reversing the B&G and giving the Bride a 3/4 profile . . .

6. This image is nice too, but I do not like the skew, and there is not enough exposure on the faces, and both are

again full profile.

In summary:

Within five images (I negate #2) your posing formula changed once, all except #1 you have the B&G facing and in

Full Profile, you need to address this issue, extend your posing repertoire.

It looks to me all the images were taken with the kit lens (a guess) and possibly, except #3 with some automated

mode. What Exposure Control Mode did you use? I ask because I am wondering if you need to have more control

and understanding over the choices your camera seems to be making for you.

If I am correct with my thought above, I think I might also be correct suggesting you are making more of the Post

Production to address issues which should have been nailed with more manual control of the Camera`s settings,

instead of using PP to enhance an already excellent file.

WW

• 1 month later...