How is my outdoor shooting?

jin_roh

I just had a outdoor pre wedding shoot and my bride complain about my images. This is fist time a bride complain about my work and I

don't know what to say and how to deal with this situation.

Please give me some comments about the images and advise me.

Thank you so much for your time.

http://www.jinsphoto.com/wedding/Yumi%20and%20Taeyoung%20Studio/

http://www.jinsphoto.com/wedding/Yumi%20and%20Taeyoung%20Outdoor/

On the first set, you seem pretty over-exposed (lots of details lost in the dress, etc). How are you metering?

On the second set, it looks like maybe you were metering on their faces, but because they were largely back lit,

things look a little out of control. Leaving aside composition issues around that light pole, I think that you might have

tried to balance things out with some fill flash, so that all of the ambient light could be settled down some - even

while getting a bit more light on their faces.

What specifically did the bride not like - the scenes and poses, or the technical details of the exposures?

It would help to know what they complained about, but if it was me, the things I would complain would be--on the first set, which wasn't bad, all the emphasis was on the flowers, and close-ups. I assume she, like all others, spent good money on the dress, and very few pictures show detail, or are full-length. Usually one or more of these pictures would be the ones the family (relatives) would keep on the wall forever. These don't do it.

On the outside pictures, your sky is totally white on them. An ND filter, or polarizer would have helped. The couple looks great, but no details in the sky or background. Any chance you can pull some out in PS or are they totally blown out? Also, well, I am one of those people that hate tilted pictures, and most of your outdoor pictures are tilted. (of course, some people are really into that). Because it's not the wedding, if she hates them that much, you can always do they over.

Sure would be nice to know what she hated about them.

She complaint about the blue and white flower back ground color in the studio, so I changed the color and not elegant enough.

At the outdoor images look too casual, I guess because of her opened dress but that was not my choice.

I liked alot of the first set. The 2nd set had alot of blown highlites. Problems with harsh lighting and shadows. Need to work on controlling the light. They certainly couldn't complain about the volume of images and I think you may now hold the record for most tilted images in a session. Several images had a pleasing composition and it looks like they were very comfortable with you.

I thought the first set was very strong for a set of tight portraits. Second was a bit on the high key side with no sky detail, and I probably would have excluded that much sky if it was just pure white.

I think the bigger issue is communication with the bride- what did she want and expect? If she had an opportunity to express it before the shoot she might be happier.

Dude your pretty good..ya sure there are some blown highlights, but I very much doubt the untrained eyes of hers is looking at that...

<p>

1) I can see what she means by all images look to casual...I can't find a emotionally charged image..in your lot.<p>

<p>

This is not entirely your fault, the bride seems like she was loving the shoot and wanted these kind of images and its easy to get carried away shooting with someone who loves to pose..she's a poser.<p>

<p>

2) Still you should have put on the breaks somewhere and tried to get some cheesy mushy emotional shots for the shoot.<p>

<p>

3) Man I thought I shoot like crazy..now I feel better.<p>

<p>

4) the tilt...I have this same problem my wife always complains about the tilt...I'm working on my problem one shot at a time....<p>

<p>

I like your style and images..composition is good, but tooo much tilting images, don't worry about the blown up area..beleive me only we look at the Histogram..people want an image that can move them stir emotions..your images are the fun type ones I need to take those kinda shots I get too serious ..<p>

You should have asked her not to smile in all the shots cause some of them could have been turned into the emotional heart wrenching shots by just leaving that over done smile out....she's a smiler! <p>

<font face="Garamond, Arial" color="#F10000"><h3>MODERATOR NOTE: Website link removed as per photo.net policy. Please do not post your link as a signature. For more info you can read about the policy in the current photo.net newsletter or read the sticky thread in the Photo.net Help Forum. Thank you. </h3></font>

From a technical point of view, there are a few blown highlights as has been previously mentioned. I also agree that

there aren't too many detail dress shots which could be an understandable complaint.

However - I assume that the high-key feel is an element of your shooting style and that this bride & groom hired you

on the basis of similar samples that they had viewed. Also on the plus side is the fact that the images are nicely

composed on the whole and seem to include a happy couple having a good time.

I don't think I would take this complaint too much to heart as regards your photographic skills. On the other hand, if I

were you I would offer a reshoot of the outdoor session on the basis that the bride is able to tell you specifically what

she wants - perhaps she is looking for a more traditional outdoor setting with formal poses - only she can direct you

with that. But I would also make it clear at this time that whilst you will happily do a reshoot on this occasion, you

are absolutely satisfied with the quality of the work you have produced for the couple so far and that your images are

representative of the style that you show as samples. In no way should a discount/refund start to enter discussions.

As an aside for the future, I think it is often worth asking the bride whether she wishes to view some of the shots that

you have taken so far (if you are working in digital), and whether the couple are happy with the shoot or do they have

anything else in mind? That way you've covered your bases and you have ensured that the couple have got

everything they want from the occasion.

Looks like you're getting a lot of positive feedback on these images however, I don't see any evidence of the use of

any light modifiers. I doubt that you used a speedlight, external lighting, reflectors, scrims, etc... The background in

many images is completely blown....what's the point to going on location if you can't see the location? Blurring the

background on the beach shots with a wide aperture is fine to a point, but you might have done some images where

you could recognize the trees and other background elements, as they are they look like a mixture of graphic blobs.

Shooting in strong sunlight is a difficult task and it often produces raccoon eyes, shadows, and harsh treatment on

skin. Without modifying the light, your best bet is put both faces in the sunlight and have them wearing sunglasses.

I simply do not understand feedback that says these images are fine or not to worry about blowing out the highlights at

the expense of losing details in the bride's dress or completely losing the background on a location shoot. If you're asking

how to improve your outdoor shots you might start by getting this training DVD on location lighting:

http://www.photovisionvideo.com/store/shop.mvc?

Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=LLT028&Category_Code=DVD

I would echo what David was saying. I have been visiting strobist.com and have really benefitted from all of the info. With

my newfound knowledge I would say that all Jin needs is some front fill flash bounced or diffused. Then just meter the

backround for ambient light while chimping to get the right fill. Lots of potential here. The details that are exposed properly

were all razor sharp..... NICE

I would suggest not using a tilt until you are comfortable understanding how it actually adds to a composition. There were some shots that had the bride tilted in such a way that she defied the laws of gravity... how does that make her look glamorous?

There were also some shots that may have benefited if you took 3 or 4 good steps back.

I would offer to re-shoot this for them and try a new approach.

The bride didn't complain about dress detail shots. I think what happened here is just a mismatch of a specific photographic style and a bride who, of course, has other priorities. The overexposed, high key look is a stylistic choice, as well as the tilts and fashion style posing. These are well done if following that style. If the bride liked that style, everything would be great. Obviously she had some other ideas. I'd follow what Jo suggested--find out what she wants and fulfill it.

The studio shots seem maybe a little overexposed,, the outdoor ones, backgrounds, some are washed out. Can not help on a bright clear day. Maybe shoot early in the AM or later in afternoon. Shooting the outdoor shots with film, (oh no ! , not film) could have helped the backgrounds not look so washed