Another Duck Hunt

snik75

My local thrift store had a "Photography event" this past weekend. I've found some good stuff there before, so

even though I don't need any more gear I went to check it out. Yow! Six lenses later, I am still trying to

smuggle stuff into my kit so my wife doesn't notice. And I got there in the afternoon, supposedly it was mobbed

in the morning. What else could I have missed? :-)

The "big ticket" item I bought was a PK Tokina 500mm mirror lens. (without filters or a hood, $60 was not a huge

bargain, but cheaper than I've seen these elsewhere). I've never done much shooting with long lenses, wasn't

sure how to begin testing it. and then remembered Javier's duck hunts, and the many wonderful shots you all have

posted in response. It's a lot harder than it looks! Those ducks keep moving, the donut highlights are going

crazy in the background, and then they are all coming for me wanting food, yikes!

Anyway, here are my best efforts. Perhaps others would like to take their long lenses out and shoot some ducks? I

think we're due for another "play time" post. Or you could just post old duck shots and any advice that comes to

mind.<div>00R7VN-77369684.jpg.771b72fc3320707a144b40b78b7c3188.jpg</div>

Hi Nick,

the Tamron 70-150mm was a good buy, my SP F2.8 is excellent but heavy. I assume you got the

lighter F 3.5 one? I'm not so sure about the mirror lens, usually it needs and is corrected for at least an UV filter in

it's light path and a lens shade is important as well for more contrast. A monopod would help a lot with both lenses.<div>00R7Xo-77377584.jpg.5ab502e3e80ea287dfc64864a921b46a.jpg</div>

If I may share some of my Sony-ian experience with You. This picture is of a commonest mallard that You always see everywhere where there is some water. However, this one was shot in the "wild", in one of the desert reserves in Arizona. The lens used - Tamron SP 300mm F2.8 LD (adaptall 2 lens with maxxum mount) coupled with Tamron 2X teleconverter and handheld. if I were using a tripod - I would not have time to shoot.<div>00R7ZV-77387684.jpg.f1ea016bccd1b95f36eb28f59a19c877.jpg</div>

I like ducks (I'm an semi-professional ornithologist) also because they are one of the most colorful amoung larger birds, and sometimes show interesting color patterns, like this Paradise Shelduck of New Zealand. The male is dark (black, grey, brown) while female is multicoloured. This picture was taken with Nikkor 400mm 5.6 ED-AI mounted on Sony A100 with "glessless adapter". Also cropped considerably. This species is very shy.<div>00R80O-77581584.jpg.ff547b5c347e2528ce389bb80acb50b9.jpg</div>

Thanks Markus! Nice shot. The mirror's colors are a bit off, might be the missing UV filter, who knows. The had a table of odds and ends that may well have had the filters and hood on it, but when I read more about the lens and went back Monday it was all boxed up somewhere. They'll call me if they find it... yeah right. I may try a hood of black construction paper.

Javier, you're an inspiration. Don't go over to the dark side! Love the second to last bird.

Alex, that grey duck is a great shot. I agree that trying to shoot wildlife with a tripod seems daunting. One of the reasons I decided to go for the mirror over a standard big old lens. I've had little luck with a 80-200 M and a 2X TC handheld for birds - too blurry. Maybe the string and washer stabilizer would be worth a try?

Andrew - it is odd. I didn't crop it just so y'all could see. Supposedly fixable in PP....

John - I agree. Everyone else - more ducks?

Nick, my standard "wildlife" telephoto now is the abowe mentioned Nikkor 400mm F5.6 ED-IF with glassless adapter. It is very handholdable even though Sony's Super Steady Shot is not working with it. And amazingly sharp on 10Mp camera. I also use Tamron SP 500mm F8 mirror lens but only in places where I can "control" bokeh and have enough light - mainly on the beaches. Also handheld. I need to add chip to both lenses to make Sony's SSS work. The fast Tamron SP 300mm F2.8 LD is mostly used on the tripod and sometimes with TC in places where I do not have to move alot and can sit in one place and take large series of shots oriented to show birds behavior.

PS. There were two recent threads about use of mirror lenses started by a member of Pentax community (Garry Ian Young). We discussed there some tips, adwantages and disadwantages of mirror lenses, accompanied with many pictures. We particularly discussed how to awoid "odd" background there.

GARRY, if You are reading this- do You think it is time to start another "mirror" thread????