Nikon D90 w/ 18-55mm VR and 55-200mm VR lenses kit at Costco for $1399

photo5

Was at my local Costco (Issaquah, WA) yesterday and saw this kit. Seems like a pretty good deal to me. I'd snap

one up if I didn't already have a D300. The D90 seems identical in size and feel to my old D80, which is a good

thing. I loved the size of the D80. Also considering that Costco has such a generous return policy, and I believe

doubles the manufacturers warranty on electronic items makes this especially good.

While not too bad optically, neither lens is well made. They have a plastic lens mounts which will not wear badly, but will break if it gets a side hit. Both are mostly plastic construction throughout. I think they will hold up to a few vacation and holiday pics, not to more serious work.

I would get a D90 and use the lenses you have or buy something better.

IMO, both are very good lenses and for the price are excellent. The mounts are indeed plastic, which is disappointing, but from a practical standpoint I don't think that alone excludes them from work beyond casual vacation snapshots. I think sometimes that the construction argument is analogous to soccer moms that drive 4wd Hummers that never leave urban streets. More robust construction would definitely be better, particularly from a psychological standpoint, but in reality I think the lenses will hold up quite well in heavy use. Just use a modicum of care in handling your gear and you should be fine.

Also, the D90 is not slated as a "pro" camera to begin with. Then again, I don't subscribe to the notion that a "pro" camera or lens must be used if one is doing serious work.

I have both of these lenses with my D40 and they are excellent, build aside. However, paying $400 for them is a bit much IMHO, as much as I like Costco.

I am buying the D90 body, whenever it comes out (already put an order with Adorama) and will then sell my D40 body only. I don't see selling the D40 + those two lens for 400 more than I can get for the body only. And I like those lenses so much, I will use them on my D90, (with my Sigma 30mm, and Micro 105mm (yay for getting back AF).

I just saw that deal and I realize only now that the 18-55 is a VR, unlike my old one, sorry. That indeed increases the value and KR loves that one too... Hmmm. maybe I will cancel my body only order?? damn choices, damn them.

Dave:

Here is my logic. If you include tax, the price different is about $200 give or take.The 18-105 is a better lens. What

ever Ken Rockwell said, I don't think he nor anyone will trade a 18-105 for a 18-55. The other way arround you will

find taker the minute you push the post button. For the $200 saved, you can either put it toward a better lens or can

buy 55-200 for less then that easily later on. It's better to keep $200 in one's wallet then Costco's.