Kodak Monitor lenses?

what is the difference between the Special and non-Special lenses on the Monitor? Are they very different or are

they just differently marked? I couldn't find anything definite from google. Anyone shoot both and have comments?

Anyone liking the camera much? How well does the 120 conversion work (losing the film roller, any scratching etc.?)

thanks!

On the Monitors, according to the period Kodak Lenses book, both the Anastigmat and Anstigmat Special are Tessar design lenses. From reading between the lines, it appears that the Anastigmat Special may have used newer more exotic glass types. (Kodak had their own glass labs then.)

The Anastigmat Special on the Monitors is a very fine lens. Completely competitive with a Zeiss Tessar on an Ikonta C, I think mine has an edge over the Zeiss lens.

The Anastigmat Special comes with the better Supermatic shutter, where the Anastigmat comes with a Kodamatic (speed range only 1/200 to 1/10). The Anastigmat Special models were noticeably more expensive.

The other variations is that the Anastigmat Special started being coated sometime after the war, where coated is indicated by an L in a circle, for Lumenized. Also, most post-war Monitors came with a Flash Supermatic shutter, where you lose the self-timer, and gain flash sync.

You can also find the Anastigmat Special with Supermatic shutter on the Vigilant Six-20, which is a lighter camera, without the multiple-exposure prevention.

Both the Vigilants and Monitors came with synthetic bellows, they are often leaky. That's one advantage of an older Zeiss Ikonta C, the leather bellows are much more durable.

No conversion is required on the Monitor for 120 film. Just use toenail clippers to remove the excess flange on the spool -- cut it all the way down to the diameter of the roll of film. Then use a 620 take-up spool. If you send out the film, either have a lab you trust to return the 620 spool, or re-spool it on the 120 spool after use.

I have two Monitors, one with a coated and one with an uncoated Special Anastigmat lens. The earlier one does

allow for using a clipped 120 spool while the newer one does not; the supply side chamber is not tall enough.

Kodak must have 'improved' the Monitor at some point in time. I also have a Special Six-20 which has an uncoated

Special Anastigmat lens.

The Special Anastigmat lenses are fantastic, see

Kodak Monitor Six-20 (lumenized lens)

and

Kodak Monitor Six-20 (uncoated lens)

for some examples.

The Kodak Anastigmat was a three element design and was used on the lower quality folders. It was originally made by Zeiss. The Anastigmat Special is the Tessar Design and was used on the higher end cameras with the better shutters. The professional Kodak Anastigmat large format lenses, where not marked Special, and are the ones previously mentioned as also Tessar type. All of the low cost folder lenses not marked Special are three element and of a lower grade of glass.

Cliff, where are you getting this information? As John says, there is apparently documentation to support that both lenses are Tessar designs (that's why I asked in the first place)... that said, has anyone seen any or have any experience with the non-Super lens? (Though just for the shutter I think I want to wait for a deal on the Super anyway).

thanks!

Mark,

You sound like you think I'm making this up.

"that said, has anyone seen any or have any experience with the non-Super lens?"

I have had, and have used, BOTH the "Special" and non-special type lenses. The "Special" are very good and the non-special triplet is about like any other triplet, what else can I say.

Here is a data sheet on some of the Anistigmats Kodak produced. This listing is not complete, as Kodak also procured lenses from many other makers and put their name on them for distribution on various cameras. You can see the triplets, the tessars, and there was also a symmetrical type lens labeled Kodak Anastigmat.<div>00R52k-76355584.jpg.a2fdb4c3e73c62f0ea20b8d329baaf7b.jpg</div>

Cliff, I was just about to post the same data from the 1943 handbook. So, it looks like all the Monitor 4.5s were Tessars.

Both my 620 Monitors are Specials and my 616 Monitor is a pre-serial uncoated non-special. All of them are really nice lenses corner to corner on the 6x9. All benefit from a lens shade, especially the uncoated one. The weak point of the Monitors are the bellows which require touching up with diluted Plastidip. The clipped 120 spools work fine on the feed side with a 620 spool on the takeup side. When I finish off my stock of 616 I will convert the 616 to 120.

These Tessars and Triplets on a Folder focus abit in a non optimum way compared to say a 127mm Ektar on a speed graphic thats a tessar design too. To make the design simple for a folder; the front element or group moves for focus; not the entire lens assembly. This cause the spherical aberation to vary with the distance focused upon; the design is often to have the best performance at a moderate/group distance say 5 meters; and let the performance degrade at close and far distances as least as possibles. This fact plus often folders have a bent frame mean folks with folders love them or hate them!

A little off-topic, but someone may find this interesting:

I've given up hope on repairing the bellows on my two monitors, so I took one of the lenses off and mounted it on a Rolfix. A bit tricky, but at least it hasn't fallen off yet. Working on my first roll through it. If anything turns out, may post it. At least I'll let you know if it turns out. It is an Anastigmat Special from the early '40's.

Jim