which Nikon should I buy?

john_piatt1

The D80 at $599.00 is a great value. Good camera and it should provide great results for high level photography for many years. There is always a better camera out there and new ones coming constantly but so what. For $599.00 you get a great camera, warranty and plenty of features for virtually any photo project you may want to undertake.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got both D40x and D80 the second one I got for 600 bucks and I love it mainly for it's ability to drive non AFS lenses like a great AF50mm 1.8 or 1.4 (you should get 1.8 it's only 100 dollars and it's a great lens) on the other hand D40x is small light weight and great for travel same pixels as D80 but you need to scroll trough menu to change ISO, WB, F-stop, D80 has buttons for those functions so it's just easier to use.

you should invest in Nikon Flash like SB600 but if you're not planning on using it don't get it.

Regards

Have you had the opportunity yet to handle any of these cameras, John ?<p>

There is a <u>significant</u> difference in size/weight/feel among them.<p>

I'm a D70 owner and user, but would probably not recommend that camera (though I like mine), because I'm persuaded that D80/90 both have appreciably improved sensors and much better viewfinders than my camera.<p>

The rest of the choice comes down to interests, preferences, and of course budget. Need real speed and a very rugged body -- D200/300 are the obvious choices, but they're larger and heavier than the others. And the trade-offs continue, endlessly ... :-)

Michael-for what it's worth, I just replaced my 4 year old D70 with the D90 on Friday and it's a great camera. The D70 was and still is a

good camera-I only replaced it as I am now printing larger formats than before and I felt I wanted the extra pixels. If you end up buying one,

you won't be disappointed! regards, cb :-)

I was in this same dilema a year ago and based on my budget and skill level I chose the D40. I have never regretted it. It is a wonderful camera to learn on. It is relatively cheap and produces wonderful images. I recently had some of my files printed to 20"x30" and they came out beautiful. I would have never imagined getting such good results. It is incredibly light and can carry it around for a day without noticing it. Whatever you decide, I think you'll be happy. But my vote is for the D40.

John, it would be easier to recommend a camera if you could mention your budget and the requirements from the camera.

For instance, if you plan to shoot handheld at slow shutter speeds, I would actually suggest Pentax or Sony. Their cameras will be in your budget, and they incorporate a body based image stabilization as opposed to a lens based one that nikon offers. I'm not here to argue which is better, but having IS (or VR) in the body will save you precious $ in the long run. the IS will work with any lens that you put on.

If you want to shoot sports events, my recommendation would be a D300. I believe it has Nikon's best autofocus system, but it may be out of your budget.

The D80 is an excellent camera. My best friend uses one. He loves it, and I like it too. I shoot a Canon 1000D (because there was a big discount on it) but my next camera purchase (maybe 3 years down the road) will probably be a Sony or a Pentax.

Right now, DSLRs get replaced every couple of years. Newer and more feature packed models come and replace old ones. Most of the times, we don`t even realize we needed these new features, until its there. So, my advice is not to get swayed by a good sales pitch. If you can find a trusted source, get a used body, and spend the extra bit of cash on that 2nd lens. ``Don`t get caught up in the New and Improved thing``

Roeland has given you excellent advice (even if he doesn`t listen to it himself haha)

I was in the same boat as you just a year ago and I went with the D40x. While I love my camera and think it takes

great shots and is user friendly, I'm kicking myself for not spending the extra money in going at least one model

higher (if not two or three) because of the lens limitations. Now that I'm comfortable with the DSLR I've been looking

into getting new lenses to continue to grow and learn. The D40x is very limiting on what kind of lens you can use

because the Auto Focus has to be in the lens as appose to it being inside the camera itself- which knocks out a

whole gammet of options. I'm still pretty new to all of this myself so maybe you can learn from my mistake! One

mistake I didn't make though was choosing a Nikon :)

No digital camera is future-proof (immune to obsolescence). A rant today at another photo web site entitled "Digital Rot" points out that older model digital cameras, including Nikon's professional line (D1, D2) don't hold their value nearly as well as older model professional film cameras such as the F5 or even the F4. The pace at which the photo industry is improving digital camera technology is very fast and driven by market forces, so we all expect something new every year or two. Few of us can afford to keep up with such an expense by obtaining all the new stuff.

That having been said, a good quality camera, be it digital or film, treated well, will last many years and provide a tool for the photographer who has the talent and skill to make good photographs. The equipment may help, but the camera is only a tool.

I was hoping to spend about $500 for the camera. I think basically my choice is come down to the D80, even though it is a

little out of my price range, I like the extra pixels, the feel of the camera, and the fact that it has an auto focus motor so the

lens would in turn be less expensive down the road.

I held off on digital,when I did decide to invest I went with the Nikon D40 18-55 kit lens also a 50mm 1.8 Eseries,a 90mm Tamron 2.5macro,& a 70-300ED lens,Ihave really left my options open to upgrade in the future&am more than happy with the results I'm getting with these tools!

John;

I've ha and enjoy the D80 for almost 2 years, and over 20,000 pictures. I would really recommend the D80. I would also like to point a interesting fact about the D40 has a really fast flash sync speed of 1/500; where as the D80 only goes to 1/200. Also on the flash side the D80 has build in commander mode for Nikon's CLS, I'm pretty sure the D40 doesn't. If you can swing it, go for the D80, it will auto focus the AF-S lens, as well as the older AF lens. The kit 18-55 lens is a good lens. Also think about getting the 50 1.8 lens.

"I don't think the D70/D70s use the round 10-pin connector."

Shun, I stand corrected. However, the D70s can use a MC-DC1 which is a lot better than the ML-L3 for the D70 and D40.

John, there are too many small details which confuse the issues that you face. Some are insignificant and some not.

The best thing is perhaps to get the cameras in your hand and let your instincts make the choice.

The D40 is an excellent camera that fits into your budget. You do give up some features compared to more expensive bodies, but you don't give up image quality if your prints are normally 8x10 or less. You could stretch and get the D80, but then you'll need a lens and flash. You'll be quite a bit over budget.

Speaking of flash, take a look at this site for a lot of interesting and creative ideas:

http://strobist.blogspot.com/2006/03/lighting-101.html

Lighting will improve your photos far more than a few extra pixels.

I bought a D60 a few months ago and love it. But since the D90 came out you can get a D80 for less than $600. If I

was buying now I'd get the D80, it's a lot of camera for the money. It's got enough features to keep anyone happy for

quite a while. And you can use non AFS lenses with the D80. If money is really tight you can get a used D80 for

around $500, sometimes less.

Easy choice, at least for me - D40. It has to be the photographic value of the past 10 years. A body w/kit lens (new) will set you back about $450 right now. The image quality is exceptional, right out of the camera, in most cases. It has several auto modes that "simply work," and work great in my experience. Aperture priority, program, and shutter priority choices, too. If you are after full control, you can operate the camera in fully manual mode....you choose everything...

Some here will argue that it lacks a 2nd control wheel and other quick adjustments, and that's true...but believe me, once you get used to the camera, you can make setting changes just about as fast as anyone.

The kit lens is, surprisingly, very good. Nikon is coming out with more AF-S lenses all the time, so as a beginner, I wouldn't worry too much about it not having a screw drive. Oh - and I use all of my old AIS lenses with my D40, in manual mode of course, with really fantastic results.

In my opinion, you can't beat it for the $......

If you're considering a camera like the D200, another viable option is the Fujifilm S5 pro which is essentially a Nikon D200

with a Fuji brain. You get the benefit of the Nikon build quality, Nikon lens mount, ergonomics etc but with a wider dynamic

range. Check out the details at: www.fujifilm.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s5pro/features/index.html

I was hard core film till I broke down and bought the S5 for a trip abroad where I had to keep things small and simple. I still

love film but this camera made a believer out of me and I use it almost exclusively now. It also has settings that emulate

the look of various popular film types and takes my decades old Nikon mount lenses. Recently I have noticed them priced

around $1100 which is several hundred cheaper than the D200. Also has the "head-scratcher" bonus of being a digital

camera while flying a FujiFILM flag. I absolutely love the S5.

David - actually the D200 is falling in price, with one reputable online dealer selling the body for $985 new. The D200

pricing continues to soften presumably due to the D300 and perhaps even D90.

Another thing worth noting is the bargain that can be obtained on the D80. Again, a reputable dealer has the new

bodies at $599. That's about $150 less than 2 months ago. I thought long and hard about picking up the D80

back then, but it wasn't compelling to me relative to the D40 on several counts. These small-body Nikons are

certainly not for everyone, but man oh man do I love mine. I've abandoned my original plan of upgrading to the D90.

I really consider the D40 to be the closest thing to a digital FM2, with the advantage of auto modes when/if desired.

When I wear it out I'll likely upgrade to a full frame and skip the prosumer DX offerings. My recommendation to all is

that if you have any interest in this model, get one now before they go away.

As a side note, I still love film also. Nothing quite like the satisfaction of burning a few rolls of Tri-X or Velvia. Just

picked up 20 rolls of Arista Premium 400 (presumed to be repackaged Tri-X) and am having a blast developing in my

make-shift darkroom (half-bath!)......

Regards to all, and to the original poster - whatever you choose, have fun! I don't think you can go wrong with any of

the recommendations that have been made in this thread.

By all means, stretch and buy the D300. It is a super camera and as you learn you end up with the best

semi-pro-pro camera. If you will need to "learn" all about the DSLR"s then go to the head of the class and learn

as the pro camera needs are. You will be ready then to step up to the big boys.

My thoughts. David

Absolutely, get a used D200. It is the first Nikon DSLR with a pro-grade body, and it will offer you the greatest flexibility, not only in terms of camera features, but also lenses, accepting the Nikkor AF D and G lenses and the AI/AIS manual-focus lenses, which on a budget, is the best option for expanding your lens coverage, as all AI/AIS lenses have durable builds, modern coatings, and are ridiculously priced. There are a lot of D200's on the market on eBay from owners who moved up to D300, D3, and D700, so it is a Nikon best buy for the DX CMOS format.

John.

The perfect answer in my opinion, came from Jim Greenberg and I agree with him totally. In the world of digital anything you can never keep up. Look at what you need now, your future aspirations, and the limits of your budget and choose from there. Also, ever thouight of looking at the used camara market, there are people who chase the digital world and upgrade when new models are introduced. Bargins are out there for the taking, but use a store not ebay, you need to see the camara, just a thought.

• 5 weeks later...

You can buy the low light champ, the D50 body off the bay or Kraigslist for ~$250.

It accepts all Nikon AF lenses. Then you can buy a Nikon 50mm f/1.8 for $100, a Nikon 18-70mm for $150, a Nikon 70-210 f/4 for $150, etc if you want to stay with the great consumer lenses.

If you are looking for a great wide angle zoom, the Sigma 10-20mm for less than $250 used.

Good luck!