ALASKA - Whittier to Valdez Ferry in October

vivid_earth_photographics

Can anyone offer insights: I am considering taking the ferry from Whittier to Valdez on Oct 9 (next Thursday) after a

business engagement on Wednesday in Girdwood, AK. I would sleep in Valdez and then drive to Anchorage Friday

Oct 10.

I've never been to Alaska before and hope to just take in awesome vistas and have fun shooting pix (I'll be alone, so

no one to give me looks if I spend all day with my cameras!). Any advice on drive times, October weather, if I'll see

good stuff from the ferry to Valdez, if it is raining should I still take the ferry--can you still see cool stuff? Thanks for

any advice.

Alaska is roughly 2.5 times the size of Texas. A one-day drive to Anchorage may give you a taste of part of the state. Weather on the coast is subject to rain, drizzle, or clear weather, depending on the current weather front traveling east from the coastal area. Plan on warm clothes and rain gear: if you don't use either, that is a plus. But going prepared is good for Boy Scouts and traveling in Alaska.

The drive down (or up) the Richardson Highway is gorgeous. There's a mountain pass to cross, a glacier to explore,

streams and waterfalls, and maybe some wildlife. It's pretty late in the season for Alaska, so there won't be much open. I

would check in advance regarding motels, restaurants and the like. I suspect you will want more time. The distance and

road conditions may make it difficult to make if from Valdez to Anchorage in a reasonable day.

Thanks to you both. I am there on business so whatever I get in during the days before and after is pure bonus. I was planning to hit the

road from Valdez at dawn and make an adventure of getting to Anchorage by evening (with stops along the way, but mostly just gawking).

Any comments re: day trip from Alaska to Hatcher Pass and gold mine there. Can't resist at least getting a cup of coffee in Wasilla along

the way.

• 2 weeks later...

Alaska is one of the most amazing places that I have been....I have been there for 3 seasons, and had chance to enjoy in many things as a part of a job that I had...glaciers and wild life....eh!!!

I visited Sitka, Juneau, Ketchikan, Mendehall and Hubbard Glaciers....enjoy....<div>00RA8O-78667584.JPG.fdde1c618cb8b85438c37fc394285c3e.JPG</div>

UPDATE: In case anyone reads this in the future. I'm back. It was awesome. I did take the marine highway ferry from Whittier to

Valdez. It was horrid weather--rain, snow, some wind. Could hardly see. Loved it. Even in that weather, the trip was rugged feeling,

caught glimpses of cool coast, and we sailed through the iceberg field created by a calving glacier. Bergs hit and grinding against the

hull. The top deck had a covered and heated "solarium" that provided some shelter from the elements and with a monopod I took some

cool shots with a D80 and D300 using a 35mm and a 80-400mm VR lens when we went through the ice field.

Valdez is one really ugly town surrounded by unbelievable beauty. The falls just north of town along the highway (you can't miss them)

are cool. You then head into a mountain pass that in bad weather is horrifying (I'm a good winter driver and not a very nervous person--

Thompson Pass in a white out snow and no other traffic is death defying), but even at 10 mph, it's over quick enough.

Despite everything being closed post-season, there isn't all that much I'd have cared to stop at if it were open. Desolate highway was

fun and gorgeous heading to Anchorage. All different scenery from flat pine areas to windy mountain roads. Two glaciers, tons of

places to pull over and just take it in, ample service stations if you need them. With spotty weather, and tons of stopping along the way,

the trip took me about 7 hours. I don't thing I'd make the trip later in the season if snow were predicted though. About 1/3 of the trip in

snow took this long. If it were all snow, it would have been exhausting and much, much longer. I'd also not like to do any of this ride in

the dark. You can get yourself into trouble pretty quick in Alaska.

Photo tips: The wildlife refuge in Portage is fun because you can stick the lens through the fence and take awesome shots of orphaned

and injured big game on a huge preserve. I shot bears, moose, carribou, bison, muskox. Monopod was key, as was the 80-400mm VR.

Actually, ended up hardly using the tripod and relied on monopod for most of trip. Also, hiking around Hatcher Pass 50 mins north of

Anchorage and the abandoned gold mine there was a blast. Desolate post-season and safe enough in mildly poor weather. Can't get

lost, very picturessque. Do NOT miss trip from Anchorage to Seward. Can do it in a day if you leave at first light in October. It is drop

dead beautiful. One of prettiest highways in the world possibly. Time it to see the tidal bore in Turnagain Arm if the trip times right with

the tides.