Advice on potential purchase

marcus_andrewes

Hi

I have never used MF although I have always wanted to. It would not be for my main photography work but for busman's holidays

shooting portrait and landscape (unless I catch the bug and go for MF digital I guess.)

I have an opportunity to purchase the following:

Hasselblad camera c/m

with

80mm f2.8 planar lens

150mm f4 sonnar lens

250mm f5.6 sonnar lens (seldom used)

40mm f4 distagon lens in own leather case (seldom used)

Two A12 backs

Polaroid back

Metered Prism viewfinder

Proxars 0.5, 1m, 2m

Lenshood

Two Handgrips

Tripod mount

Three Metal slides

All in a Hasselblad leather case.

The gear has provenance (I know the owner) and has been serviced as required although was used professionally. The camera is

approximately 25 years old and the owner is unsure of the model number.

I can buy the lot at the equivalent of US$3000 or the owner can sell the 40mm to someone else and substantially reduce the price of the

remainder.

I have yet to see it and - having never shot MF as I said - I have no real idea if I would need the 40mm anyway. It is too far away for me

to make the trip to see it on a whim so I thought I would try and get a feel from everyone here first.

I would probably shoot B&W mostly; there is a lab where I can get 120/220 developed and scanned not too far away so that is not yet a

concern.

I would not call 2000 USD almost free.

It seems this kit consists exclusively of C series lenses probably all from the later black versions.

The body will probably be a 500C/M.

The value of equipment of this age and professionaly used depends for more than 50% on the present condition.

Anything between 1500 and 4000 USD is possible.

An average 40 mm C lens with T* will bring 800 USD.

That is why I would not agree that the kit is almost free if you sell the 40 mm lens.

You really need to find out how old the camera & lenses are, check the serial number pre-fixes,which will give the year of

manufacture.Used Hasselblads are very cheap at moment as more & more Pros switch completely over to digital 35mm,

age & condition are everything. Remember they were/are tools of trade and as such, some were pampered, others were

driven into the ground.I agree with Paul, 40mm lenses are not bringing the money they once did.

There are at least 7 lenses with various years of manufacturing that are called 80/2.8 Planar.

Not as many as that but still quite a few different possibilities for the others.

The only thing that might be certain is the last lens. If that is not a T* it is a silver C lens.

Even if you know the correct designation for the lenses this is a longshot because there is no suitable description of the condition.

This is a useless.

The first 80 mm Planar lens for Hasselblad V series was made in 1956.

The last one is not produced yet as they are still being produced. Maybe this makes it better understandable that what you are asking is downright impossible.

Cut down to T* lenses the first were supplied in 1971. There are 5 different 80 mm Planars with T*

It is going to be hard for me to get any more information I think; the seller is retired now and it is hard to press for details.

Also a 800km trip involved to go and view it!

He has said that he has a buyer who would take the 40mm and then he would sell me the remainder at a much reduced

price - I have no idea how useful a 40mm on a Hasselblad would be.

Here in NZ there is not a massive choice of this stuff second hand as there are only 3.5 million people here, not many of

whom buy 'blads! When I tell you that a new H3 costs 50% of the average annual salary here, you'll get an idea why!