Canon 85 f1.2 L II - Opinions on this lens needed

steve.elliott

Stephen, I used it for years (starting with the slower mk1) and loved it. It's gone now as I am shooting primarily Nikon.

You have to force yourself to get used to it in terms of AF speed (err, I mean slowness), but the results it offers are quite well worth the work. I had the 1.8 flavor too, but at 3200iso, it did not give enough SS for me. Optically, they are similar at the same apertures with the 1.2 having smoother bokeh and slightly more color/contrast.

AF in low light is useless (virtually) and has to be compensated for. However, I did not find the 1.8 to be much better. I imagine on the Mk3 (not had one of that body) it will fair better than on the 5D's I used it on.

My personal favorite lens in the Canon line-up ... and one reason to own Canon in the first place IMHO.

It takes time to master ... you really have to pay attention to placing the AF point on something it can grab. And you cannot

focus and delay with this lens because the Depth of Field is so shallow. You must do a smooth single shutter release.

If you are using fill flash in dim light, then focus is less of an issue since the AF assist light aids in grabbing focus. So it's important to set

the camera to only

release upon acquiring focus.

If you want to shoot available light, (aka, available darkness) then the Canon STE2 Transmitter is an excellent aid for focusing because it

also has focus the

aid light. Any flash with a focus aid helps also ... if you can turn off the flash.

Once mastered, you won't miss a shot, and images from the 85/1.8 looks nothing like what this this lens produces. It is legendary for it's

gradual fall off from

razor sharp detail to amazing Bokeh that's only available at f/1.2.

Worth every single penny ... and admittedly we are talking a LOT of pennies here : -)

BTW, the Nikon 85/1.4 is just as slow or slower focusing than the 85/1.2L and the in-focus areas are not as sharp ... which was an

unpleasant surprise after switching to a Nikon D3. But I may not have mastered the Nikon yet.

• 2 weeks later...