Do you offer incentives for referrals?

ashley_f

I'm interested in finding out what kind of incentives that you might offer your clients who make referrals for your photography services?

We recently had a phone call from a client who loved our work and wants to pass our name along BUT is wondering what's in it for him.

No I don't offer a monetary incentive to the referrer, but I have given the new clients a little discount as a "repeat family/friends" event. So, if he's "wondering what's in it for him".....I would explain that he's getting the satisfaction of getting good quality coverage at an affordable price for his family/friends.

<p>He can't have loved your work that much if he's not willing to tell anyone about you unless you pay him :-). You have to decide what works for you, but I don't offer any incentives. If clients like the work then that's usually enough. And the type of person who thinks like this wouldn't interest me as a client, and probably neither would their referral.</p>

ashley - if the client wants to refer you on the basis of the QUALITY of work that you do, great.

you can send them a gift. seems a bit tacky for you to say "I will give you $50 if they book" b/c they might be talking to photographers who would pay more.

I think that most clients see it as tacky to get money from referrals - they probably think that it's a kick-back that the referred couple paid to you! a nice box of godiva chocolates or something like that might be more appropriate.

If it's a former client, we send them gift certificate for any of our products. Wedding clients usually use the gift certificate to purchase additional photos and usually end up ordering MORE than what the GC is for.......making it a win win for us.........new client booked, former client happy, additional order coming in.

We just included a set of 3.5x5 prints to go in the thank you cards to a client that has referred us to for three bookings.

They never asked and were thrilled, and it's like sending out a bunch of business cards for me, win-win! If somebody were

to ask what was in it for them, I might do the same but I'm not sure. I want people to refer me because they were happy not

because they got something out of it.

I would not until after the event and everything is paid for by the referral. I have had so many people try to get a lower price and promise that they will pass my name to their friends and family for future work. I fell for it the first time and gave them a slight discount. Needless to say...the bride's niece was not interested. That was when I was young and stupid...and when film was the only medium.

David

• 2 months later...