E3

laceyhughes

I've been considering upgrading to the E3... I would really like to hear from those of you with experience with this

camera to let me know your likes and dislikes about it. I've done a lot on internet reading, but there's only so much

you can learn from specs and reviews. I'm specifically looking for input from those with time with the equipment. I'm

pretty much a die-hard Olympus fan - so while I appreciate all inputs, I most likely remain with Olympus. Thank you

all for your time.

I bought an E-3 body about six months ago and still discover many great features this camera has. Below is my list of likes and dislikes.

1. Eleven focusing points and its responsiveness. In low light (almost darkness), the E-3 gives up if you don't pop the built-in flash up for quick pulsing flashed for focusing aid. If you use the FL-50 or FL-50R external flash, the the camera focus as good as that in daylight becasue the flash shines a red beam to the objects.

2. Color saturation and accuracy. I set my E-3 to natural with noise filter set to "Standard".

3. Swivel screen that can be closed with the back turned outward to prevent scratching the screen.

4. Weather sealed construction and heavy body to absorb hand shakes.

5. IS works very well. I could shoot some of the shot that I could not do before with my old E-500.

6. Relatively noise free image quality up to ISO-800.

7. Five frames per second.

8. Nice view finder and top panel with dual wheels.

Dislikes:

1. Live view shooting is cumbersome. I only used this feature half dozen times.

2. Noise at ISO-2000 and up.

3. Eleven focusing point occasionally hunts continuously if there are lots of obstructions or distractions in front of objects. When this happens. I turn the focus setting to four points using quick Fn button.

4. Setting menu turns into a maze.

Hi Lacey.

I too upgraded from the E500 and love the E3.

First off it feels like a real camera, rugged and professional. My E500 seems like a toy now. Since I do mostly landscapes I love to focus manually with Live View using the 10x zoom on the LCD (swung out) for pin point sharpness. In-body stabilization can't be beat. My latest trip to Bryce, Zion and Mono Lake were shot with the E3. www.jefftangenphoto.com

At our magazine, we have E-3, E-1, E-300, E-330, E-500 and Panasonic DMC-L1. We fight over who gets to use the E-3

which is vastly superior to all of the others. My favorite features are: (1) the swiveling screen which allows you to hold the

camera above your head and still be able to compose. (2) faster focusing, even in dim light. (3) ruggedness. Ours has been

in heavy rainfall, been in the middle of strong dusty wind, and dropped (not me) a few times.

I used to shoot all of the other cameras on manual focus, but the E-3 auto focus is much faster and more accurate.

I am encouraging the front office to buy another.

I upgraded from the E-500 to the E-3 a couple of months ago. What a difference! I bought it along with the 50-200mm swd lens (I didn't get the 60mm lens). I use it with my 45mm lens and 150mm lens that were kit lenses with the E-500 and it works well. But the 200mm swd on the E-3 is where it's at! I use it for sports photography and am blown away. Only 10mp which is a bit light for a pro camera (one might think) but the sensor makes it seem like it's a lot more. I, too, set it to natural with noise filter standard. Am doing a lot less PS work now. My editor whom I sometimes provide pics to only commented today that my new camera has proved to be worth every cent. More potential clients are noticing my work a lot more which has led to more work. Can't go wrong with the E-3.