Speelight Suggestions

james_gager

At a minimum, I would get an SB-600. The SB-800 is better with more features that you probably don't need immediately. Nikon's best flash is the SB-900 which has a much better menu system than the 600 or 800, but at $450 or so, it is expensive.

The one I would avoid is the SB-400; it is very popular among casual photographers for good reasons, but it is primitive and you'll likely out-grow it in no time.

Is money an issue? The SB-600 is pretty good bang for the buck, and when you need more, you can get an SB-800 or 900 and then you already have a slave! I would NOT get offbrand, but it is an option. You'll use some function.....

If weight is an issue, the SB-400 is a perfect match for your camera. It works really, really well (when it comes to exposure/even lighting) with the D40x although it cannot be rotated for portrait use (you can bounce it). Both the SB-600 and SB-800 are heavy and can make the D40x seem out of balance and hard to hold/handle if you don't have a battery grip on it.

If you afford the 600/800/900 and don't mind the weight, that is the obviously way to go. You won't be unhappy with any of the four.

No, while the SB-400 is an iTTL flash, it is not part of Nikon's Creative Lighting System. That is, it cannot be a remote slave in a wireless flash set up in a way the SB-600, SB-800, and SB-900 can.

(And only the SB-800, SB-900 and the dedicated SU-800 plus some pop-up flashes can be the master. The SB-600 and SB-400 cannot be the master.) But you can connect it with a flash "extension cord" such as the SC-17, SC-28 or SC-29.

That plus the fact that the SB-400 cannot rotate in the vertical orientation for bounce flash makes it pretty much useless for serious photographers. That was why I explicitely pointed out that James should avoid the SB-400.