D40x vs. D80

james_gager

I have a Nikon D40x and I wanted some opinions about upgrading to a D80. Is it worth the money to upgrade to this model? What are any

significant advantages to upgrading, if any? My budget is very limited but I want a more capable camera. Any suggestions on other options

are appreciated as well.

i upped from a D40 to a D80 and it was like the difference between night and day. the feel of the body in your hands is much more substantial. some people like a light, very compact body. i appreciated more heft. beyond that, the single most important gain is the ability to use screwdriver-type AF lenses. there were many lenses i wanted to use that wouldn't auto-focus on a D40. as far as megapixels, no gain there for you. and the D40x may even have a bit higher-ISO capabilities. personally, once i got my D80, i never looked back.

"more capable camera"... in what way?

IQ will be the same. I had D80's and sold them. I still have D40s.

"...more heft." A $50 battery grip gives the D40/D40x/D60 all the 'heft' it needs.

If you can, try a D80 before you buy it side-by-side with your D40x and compare the results, feel, etc.

James, may I ask you the reverse question first? Is there something wrong or inadequate with your D40x that you

need to upgrade? The D80 is certainly a more capable camera than the D40x, but I am not sure that the differences

are huge. They actually use exactly the same 10MP sensor that is also in the D200. The D80 can drive non-AF-S AF

lenses, has a better AF system, and there are a few more minor advantages.

Since the D90 now supersedes the D80, it is now on close out sale at $600:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/449061-REG/Nikon_25412_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

I have a d40x, and recently bought a d80 as well. My reasons for getting the d80 were much better viewfinder, better autofocus system (11 point), better feel in my hands as far as size. Other benefits include bracketing, commander-mode on the flash, top LCD display, ability to shoot RAW+JPEG fine/normal/basic rather than just basic, and the functions are easier to get to and change, rather than having to scroll through the menus on the d40/d40x, as well as the in-body focus motor expands your available AF lenses. No change in MP, but that was not a deficiency for me anyway.

Overall, I am very happy with my d80 purchase, but I will keep my d40x as a very capable backup, plus it has sentimental value as well (it was a father's day present).

What do you find is lacking in the d40x? Features, image quality, ...? If you can answer that question, people here can make more educated recommendations for you. Also, what lenses are you using? If you feel that image quality is lacking, maybe you need to look at upgrading your lenses rather than your camera body.

I upgraded from a D40 to a D80 and the difference was like the difference between night and a moon-lit night!

That is to say, you see slightly more in the moonlight but you also see less stars.

While the D80 has a nice feel to it, the only advantages to it were off camera flash, 2 control wheels, AF lens

use, a more MP (if you can call that an advantage)

After playing with both cameras for a while, I found all those advantages only to be "nice to have" things that I

could live without

in every other department the D80 performed WORSE, ie. heavier, bigger, shorter battery life, poorer ISO

performance (pretty much all ISOs except for comparing 100 on the D80 to 200 on the D40), slower menu navigating

and processing speed, half the image storage/gigabite AND as I just discovered on the D40 a few weeks ago, the

wonderful function button that can be programmed to change ISO/WB/QUAL to make up for the lack of dedicated buttons.

My D80, kept it for 6 months and it served it's purpose well, but it's sold now; spent the money on a trip! My

D40 is still going strong!

Also keep in mind the new AFS 50mm 1.4 just came out. and hopefully a few more AFS primes will show their faces,

which just knocks off another "advantage" to the D80

I'd upgrade to the D90 or D300...PERHAPS the D200, if you're serious about landscape...but all the disadvantages

of the D80 also apply to the D200 when comparing to the D40.

There is nothing wrong with my D40x, though the 3 zone autofocus is not the best. I was wanting a camera I can grow with

more than this camera. I like shooting many types of photos and I just want something more advanced within my limited

budget (<$1000 the lower the better). Then again it may be a matter of wanting something I don't absolutely need at this

time. I have also been looking at the d200 which are about $1,000 now.

James, if you don't feel that there is something THAT wrong with your D40x, I would say stick with it until it reaches a point you do feel that it is not adequate any more. Cameras will continue to get better and cheaper. It is best not to make any premature upgrades. If you have extra money, you are better off getting a lens or two.

James, I shot with a D70 for almost 3 years and only recently upgraded to a D300.

A lot of people simply don't realize just how good the D70 is/was. Up to 30cmx45cm you can get outstanding results.

From what I've read the D40x is better than the D70, at least in terms of IQ. And now that there is the AFS 50mm

f/1.4 you will know what it's all about between f/2.8 and f/4 on your D40x.

However, if you really feel you need to upgrade, I'd skip the D80 and go for the D90. IQ is supposed to be pretty

much equal to the D300.

As I said, I have the D300, but I can tell you that unless you really know that you are doing, you won't see much

difference - if any - over a D70 like camera.

Just remember this: A quality image is created by the photographer and not the camera.<div>00Qw2B-72695584.jpg.6cdb512cb7890937641e18e1e3557e5f.jpg</div>

James,

I agonized between D40,40x, 60, 80 and 200 for the past couple of weeks and finally pulled the trigger

on the D80. I actually went into the store with the intention of picking up the D60 based on size, price

and IQ equality with the other options and was turned off immediately by the size of the viewfinder. This

was not something I took note of in reviews and may just be a subjective thing on my part but I was

taken aback by how small the viewfinder field seemed.

This may be a non-issue for you as you are already a D40x user. For the essentially $200 difference I

like the functionality the D80 gives with its two wheels, top LCD and larger viewfinder. The ability to use

more lenses AF is nice as well. Side by side with a D60 I don't feel like the D80 THAT much bigger...

the difference in size/heft of the D80/D200 however is significant. Once you put a larger zoom or any

heavier glass (than the super light kit lenses) I wonder if you loose the advantage of size/weight that D40

users like so much.

Long story short, I didn't make up my mind until I held them both in my hands and to be honest I'm

using the full 14 day return period w/ my D80 to make sure I'm happy! Happy Shooting!