Best Travel Bag??

rob_and_andrianne_kemp

I am looking for information on what is the best travel bag for my needs. My wife and I are going on a 6 month around the world trip and

need a bag. We will be taking 1 dslr body, 1 70-200, 1 24-70, 1 17-40. I have been looking at the Crumpler Whisky and Fox due to the

security of the bag (but don't really like how hard it is to get to your camera when you need it fast) I have also looked at Tenba Gen3 sling

bag, which might not be as safe as everyone knows a camera is in it, but is very easy to remove the camera. I have also looked at the

Kata T-214 sling bag. So I was wondering if anyone has used any of these and how they think they would work? I currently have a

Tamrac Adventure 7 which is good, but is not the most secure bag, and not the easiest to remove the camera when needed. Any

suggestions on other really good travel bags would also be much appreciated.

I'd second the ThinkTank line. Do you want a shoulder bag or a backpack? If you're looking for a shoulder bag then the

Think Tank Urban Disguise 30 would probably fit everything you listed. It would just depend on the 70-200mm. Which one

do you have?

I have a UD 30 and can fit a DSLR, 70-200mm f/4, 17-40mm f/4, 24-105mm f/4 and the 50mm f/1.4 in the main

compartment. It also has lots of little pockets for other bits and pieces.

I've used a Lowepro Pro Magnum AW 1 or 2 for this combination of camera and lenses (Nikon of course). The #2 is 6" deep, needed for a pro DSLR or one with a battery grip. The lenses fit vertically with one on the camera. I find tall narrow bags like the Pro Mag hang easier and don't bump into things as much as a wide bag. The larger bag has room for an SB-800, extra batteries and stuff.

That said, a 16+ pound load is a little much for a shoulder bag after a couple of hours. The Pro Mag comes with a belt which helps a little. I have evolved to using a variety of backpacks for gigs and travel. More and more, I look to Thinktank for their innovation and quality.

If you want a good secure bag go for the Lowepro Flipside line. It is a backpack which has the space you need. Plus it opens on the side that faces your back when your wearing it. I think if your going on a long trip like this you want lots of security because someone can easily steal some equipment from your behind your back. Or another solution would be to have a sling bag that hangs at your side, which will give you security because it's in sight and it gives you the accessibility you might like. Then Thinktank has lock's you can buy to lock your bag to prevent someone from stealing something, no matter what Bag you have.

I have a LowePro Flipside 300 and while it does keep your kit safe, there it very little storage on the bag for anything

other than your camera gear. There is only 1 external pocket and it is very thin - so much so that it is fairly useless for

anything thicker than pens or a small torch (maglite solitaire sized) etc.

I recently went on a trip to Egypt with the Flipside with a fairly similar equipment set to what you have described except I

had the 24-105mm rather than the 24-70mm. It will fit your equipment with a little room to spare but there really isn't

space for the kind of things that you would want to have with you while traveling. Also, I personally dont like having to

take a backpack off to change lenses or put my camera away.

The equipment you listed isn't overly heavy (although you don't specify which of the 70-200mm lenses you have) so in

my opinion a shoulder bag would be a better choice as it would allow you to carry a small backpack as well to hold all

the other bits and pieces you want to have with you. Much easier for putting your camera away and changing lenses

too.

I have the 70-200mm f/4. I would prefer a backpack for a little bit of extra room, but a shoulder bag is what I thought would

be easiest. We have travelled to Europe before and our Tamrac bag worked pretty good. I am pretty aware of the gear and

keep my bag in front if the situation warrants it. Anyone use the Crumpler bags?

I've recently bought a Tamrac Pro 8 . I bought it reluctantly since I've had to replace a 15 year-old bag which met my

needs in virtually every respect till the fabric started literally to decompose. Despite my reluctance I have to say I'm

impressed. The bag's not too heavy,is comfortable to carry, has a good strap that doesn't slip, and whilst it has a lot

of zips and clips to keep the bag closed whilst travelling, you can just flip back the Velcro flap to access anything in

the bag or pockets whilst still on the shoulder. My Canon 5D with 70-200/17-40 and 24-105 with bits weighs about

5kg and I can carry that all the time. Further it was by far the cheapest of the bags Calumet showed me.

I could not find a Lowepro Bag that works as well as this one which is about half the price. The Pro Magnum AW

series is strong on protection but its very heavy- I have one which sits in the garage.

A final comment about Crumpler. Their bags look great, but to me they seem hard and stiff and not at all easy to

get things in and out of. We have one here that scuffs your hands when getting stuff in and out. Further they don't

seem to use space well and I felt I'd have to carry lenses under other lenses to fit, and this I won't do- accessing

everything without moving anything else is a "must have" for me.

I want something similar I am leaning toward an urban disguise 40. I talked to someone at thinktank and my set up is

similar to yours and they suggested the 40. with the 30 the flash may need to be in an outside compartment for me. I am

ordering mine this week.

• 3 weeks later...

just get the bag that best fits your needs, and buy one of these for security:

http://www.pacsafe.com/www/index.php?_room=3&_action=detail&id=11

sure, it's not 100% thief proof, but nothing is. if someone wants your stuff badly enough, they will find a way to get your

kit. but i find it is better then most products out there, it very versatile in the fact you can put many bags in it and lock it

to a solid object, and is fairly inexpensive for the peace of mind it offers.

just my .02