I have an old Leica and cannot find anything out about it or it's cost?

natalie_donegan

I have an old camera in it's case, I have researched online, but so far have not been able to find any details on it. I am

trying to find out age and current market value. On the camera the details are: Leica D.R.P. Ernst Leitz Wetzlar

Germany No 426023. On the lens the details are: Leitz Elmar f=5cm 1:3,5 mtr Germany. On the base of the camera

the instructions on opening and closing are written in both English and German. Can anyone help me with any

details? Thank you.

Did you look at Cameraquest.com? Go there first before asking these questions, he has serial numbers and all that stuff. Find out what you have, he has descriptions of most Leica's and then determine its condition and check stores like KEH or ebay for going prices. All the info is out for you.

The serial number suggests it's a Leica IIIc built around 1946-7, maybe purchased overseas by a US serviceman. Very

popular combination of lens and camera and not rare even today. You can use eBay to see what similar outfits are selling

for. Subtract $$ if it's been engraved by someone other than Leica, if the shutter appears wrinkled or cracked, the optics

appear dirty or foggy.

Natalie, I had a similar experience about six months ago. My Leica had a 241XXX number, and it looked like a IIIc.

I've put about 20 rolls of film through it, and the camera rocks. A P.N thread helped me learn how to load it. The

original plan was to cut a long leader. This thread lists a couple of alternatives

http://www.photo.net/leica-rangefinders-forum/002pDy

The lens sounds like a post-war Elmar. I'm using a "red-scale" version of the lens which works very well.

Does the rangefinder on your camera work?

Good luck, and have fun.