Canon 60D Project! Crazy!

peter_harris3

I'm not inclined to argue the merits of the project as a whole, just that it's something I'm thinking of

attempting... I would like to know if anyone wiser can think of major snags with this model I might not be

familiar with.

Ready?

I want to remove the entire lens mount section of an earlier Canon EOS Digital model and replace it with a Canon

FD lens mount. The obvious answer as to WHY is to use all those thousands of beautiful old lenses on a newer,

instant result. The task might be hard, but that's okay, dad is a machinist. Yes I know you can get adapters, I

know how crazy I am.

The question is, if I wanted to use the body in a manual mode, like straight M, will the camera let me? My Rebel

XT and my 40D allow me to operate without lens feedback, so my insane custom-rigged Ricoh lens does fine, so to

speak. I haven't got a D60 onhand yet to trial test with, so can anyone tell me if it will fire without a lens

in? Anyone see other major snags in this kind of project, other than clearance issues and a lack of a

split-diopter focusing screen?

Thanks, take it easy on me, I know it's not prudent, but I'd like to see it through. After adapting a Polaroid

for film, this would be a nice follow up for a success. -pete

One problem I foresee is that you will need to chop the bottom off the mirror, which could create a variety of further problems (e.g. the camera recognising a problem, and locking up). You may have better luck trying converting your lenses for use on a four thirds camera - but even that is not a trivial job.

http://fourthirdsphoto.com/blog/?p=21

Are you aware that manual focusing will be really hard and usually you might not be happy with the results? If you

are sure you want to do it I see no problem, it should be quite easy to change the mounts (I've never used FD system

though). You need to check how thick things are to still have infinity focus. I'd buy an EOS camera with live view - it

should help quite a lot. Newer cameras have more magnified viewfinders so it's a big advantage too. You'll have to

change focusing screen anyway. Remember that by changing focusing screen to third part one you may get cheated

metering results. Also you won't get focus confirmation unless you use an adapter with chip (like these in M42

adapter mounts). Good luck!

You are not crazy, you just have more time and resources (your machininst dad), that I don't have. I often thought of

doing this and am still intrigued by what you are doing. I sold my Canon FD-EOS 1.26x adapter for over $1000 USD

and switched to Nikon lenses that I used for awhile on a 10D. I have since switched to Nikon bodies as well.

I am probably more intriqued by switching the FD mount on the lens for an EF one, saves gutting a body when you

wish to upgrade. The Canon FD 50/1.2 Aspherical lens is certainly one Canon FD lens that would make any of the

above worthwhile. You could buy this lens AND a 5D and still be cheaper than it's two closest competitors, the

Nikon Noct or the Leica Noctilux! The 24/1.4 L and 85/1.2 L are two other lenses that would make for great bargains

for use on a DSLR. Most other FD lenses can be replaced by Nikon versions that are just as good if not better for

the same price.

Good luck and keep us posted please.

I dreamt for a while of somehow converting my old Canon AE-1 Program camera into a digicam by basically removing the

film loading door and creating a digital back of sorts for it. All manual, of course. Of course, this is infinitely behind my

ability, but I figured that if something like this was even technically possible, I'd pay pretty big bucks for it.

If you used a 4/3 body I really don't see the advantage over using an adapter. The adapter would just be mechanical, so no loss of image quality. You can buy the adapter for under $50 on ebay.

The downside is a 2x multiplier rather than a 1.6x. However it would be about 1000x easier.

FD lenses just need to be 2mm closer to the sensor than EF lenses. I 'm not sure that would be enough interfere with the reflex mirror on a 1/6x crop DSLR. You'd probably have to remove the aperture coupling lever from the FD lens though.

I'm an FD user (and a recent initiate to EOS) and I can tell you with absolute certainty that there is a HUGE demand

for an FD-compatible digital body. Whether it be a digital sensor back for an FD body, or an FD mount on a DSLR,

there are perhaps thousands of FD users worldwide who would jump on it. Please keep us informed, Pete, on how

your project is going. (You might want to post on the FD forum). I know that I for one am dying to hear.

Thanks for the notes to everyone, much appreciated. The questions here are things I've considered, and am willing to try to iron out on a body, but it's a question of initial investment more than anything. I want a camera that's not terribly current, so my 40D stays whole and unmolested, as well as the Rebel XT I sold... money is more worthwhile than finding out it was never going to work in the first place, AND I destroyed a good camera.

Thats why I posted this in EOS -- If anyone's familiar with the D60, do they know how different say, the lens mount area is from the 10, 20, 30, 40D models are? Were they designed to be EF-S compatible, or EF only? Does the model need pin-out feedback from the lenses to operate, or will it take a shot without a lens mounted?

The 4/3s system is an idea, and I thought about doing this with different brands or models, but I think it would be best to stay true to Canon through the whole build. As for the digital back on an FD body, I certainly gave that tons of thought, and I think it should be way easier than we would make it out to be: give it a power unit, ability to adjust ISO, and memory storage, and that's it. I'm willing to investigate if anyone knows where to get a plain-jane full frame sensor at bargain discount prices... any electrical engineers in the house?

I'll keep you guys posted, thanks very much, and happy to have Mr. Atkins chime in, I see him all over the place in here :) Keep your eyes out for CANON FD-60 PROJECT in the coming months. If prospects look good, I'll probably build a site for the process to share. Any other thoughts, please let me know.

The 10D is one generation higher than a D60 and only marginally different. Same sensor as far as I know just improved software, speed, and ergonomics. I am in the process of selling my 10D but I just went and checked that it does fire with no lens mounted and I suspect that the D60 would be the same. The 10D does not take EF-S lenses and neither would the D60. I believe this is more how the mirror is set up.

Beyond the D60 the next camera that would be a significant step up is the 30D. If you are successful with the D60 then I would use it until you upgrade your 40D and then reconfigure it. Skip the 30D. By the time you are ready to reconfigure the 40D it won't be worth much (just look at the new 50D!).

I am not sure on this, buy I do recall reading that FD lenses have focusing issues on EF mounts - the FD to EOS

converters usually have some glass in them as well, which acts as an effective TC. That is something you'll have to

contend with.

Why dont you put a Nikon mount on the EOS instead? That'd be a fun project and would get you working focus to boot.

And you can break the hearts of both Canon AND Nikon fanboys with your blasphemy :)

Vandit

I'm not sure if a D60 is the ideal choice of camera for this type of project. The D60 is an original EF mount

with the standard mirror box etc.

If you were to go for an EF-S compatible mount camera the mirror and mirror box assembly may already be smaller

and require less modification. Not sure of the extent of this but thought I might mention it and someone else

with a more detailed knowledge of this area may be able to indicate if this will be a big factor or not.

Cheers,

Jim

Thanks again, folks... I'd love to mod a bigger model, like a 40D, but this is about low initial investment. Since I don't know anyone who owns a D60 nor can I get my hands on one, I'm going out on a limb... worst case, I'll resell it to someone if it won't fly. Vandit, these are things suggested before, but the Nikons need lens feedback for the cheaper models, or won't fire with nothing attached... I'd prefer not to play with things that need to be overridden, I just want the thing to fire if I say "go". When I get the camera in hand I'll play-test it for a week, see how it flies, then crack it open and see where the guts rest. Keep you posted, thanks again for feedback folks!

Peter, I meant "put a Nikon mount on the D60 body" - not "modify a Nikon body". That should work without feedback - my

EOS fires just fine with Nikon lenses mounted on it via an adapter. Removing the EOS mount and putting the adapter

directly in place should be more of the same.

Regardless, good luck with the project. Keep us posted on how it goes - it certainly sounds like a fun exercise :)

Vandit

I haven't done measurements yet, but I'm looking at the model and I think it might work okay. There really isn't much of a difference in the mount distances, but I can see where the aperture kicks might get in the way. I think the pin connectors for the EF lenses will be removed and a switch or stop will be put in place there, so you can adjust the FD rings appropriately. Have to see how it goes, I think. I'll keep you posted, one project at a time though. Otherwise, it's a great camera, but I can't tell how to reset the damned file numbers. I guess you just don't? A little sad about that one.

• 1 month later...

http://colorbroken.com/subdermis/canonFD60.html

I'm starting to document the re/build process on my site, if you're interested to know more about the experience. I can't say I'll offer up an Instructable at this time, but it's under consideration. Thanks again to everyone who helped with the consideration process, I'm going to enjoy this camera very very much.