Desktop Computer Recommendation

I need a new desktop computer and would like recommendations on configurations. Photo editing is the most power-

intensive computer activity. Other work is basic word processing, spreadsheets, internet.

Ideal budget: about $800 including a new monitor.

I use Canon DPP to work on 12.8 megapixel raw files.

Benchmark computer: current laptop has Pentium dual core T2060, 1024 MB DDR2 SDRAM. Desktop would ideally

be

faster for photo editing. For example, photos take too long to load when I want to do "quick check" of keep vs. toss.

I'm not very computer literate, so basic advice is appreciated.

If photo imagery is the most important application I think it best to shop for the monitor separately. What gets thrown in with a $800 package may not be the best choice. I would also want a computer with separate video card, rather then trust a system with built in video in the motherboard as such is the nature of low priced systems.

about 800$ with monitor!? no mac for you. if you where ready to add more a Imac would ahve been a pretty good choice.

Hopefully you understand that for 800$ you wont have a good monitor and a good machine. A good monitor suit for photo editing start at around 800$...a decent PC is also around 800$...

what you ask is a miracle if you want something serious to be able to work with.

Maybe it would be better to upgrade your latop and max it out instead and get a good monitor alone.

Below 1600$ i dont think you will get far, for photographic oriented need i mean.