Three year old and three month old

rachel_harmon

I'm a beginning photographer, and am scheduled to photograph a three year old and her three month old sister. Mom

talked about some indoor and outdoor shots. What I am stumped on is poses. Does anyone have any good ideas?

The baby can't sit up yet, and doesn't really hold her head up yet either. I don't know why this has me so stumped,

but it does. Any ideas are appreciated. Thanks!!

You could have the 3 year old sitting with her legs straight out in front of her, and position the baby between her legs (both

children facing forward) and the 3 year old can hug the baby from behind, thus holding her up (since she doesn't sit on her

own yet). Have the baby leaning back on the older sister, that should help the head control issue. Just a suggestion! Hope

that helps for one idea.

Good suggestions Ashley, I was kind of thinking the same thing. Are the pictures strictly of the 3yr old and 3 mon. old? If not get the mother in there holding her daughters on her lap, one on each leg. Try a straight down shot with the two girls heads touching looking up. You'll probably need the mother's help to get the attention of the 3 month old (and maybe the 3yr old as well). Be prepared to have a lot of patients. If the mother allows, a lolipop for the 3yr old can help smooth things over and reward her for being patient with the pictures, or heck a page of stickers. Get the mother involved as much as possible. Moms (and even sometimes us dads) generally have a pretty good idea how to get their kids to laugh and smile and hold their attention.

If you want to shoot the three month old on her own without someone to hold her, put her in the infant seat but first

cover it with something that hides it. You can use a christening blanket, a lacy "blanky," lace tablecloth, or just

about any blanket or piece of cloth that doesn' thave distracting patterns or colors. It's cheaper than buying one of

the $100 baby posers the portrait supply places sell. One Mom and baby pose is to have mom standing up, holding

the baby in a kind of flying position facing her, faces close together, and crop in fairly tight of them looking at each

other or making faces at each other. Also baby in her baby seat (covered as above) with big sister behind it, peering

over and down at her. Baby grabbing pick sister's lollipop, big sister feeding baby her bottle. Anyting that results in

interaction between the two is good.

I would normally start off photographing the baby first on a blanket or bed with available lighting, I later ask the sibling to

kiss the baby and at that point I am right above the subject looking down clicking away. It can be difficult due to the age of

the older sister...good luck!

I'm reading this a little late so you might have already done the session. Could you have the baby lay on her belly and/or side and the three-year old sit next to her and "straddle" the baby with her arm. You could also get one of those small papasan chairs (they make them pretty little now and not too expensive) and lay the baby in it and have the three year old sit on her knees and hold the baby's hand. You could also have the little baby laying on side/back/belly and sister looking over her and giving kisses on the head. Maybe those will help!

• 1 month later...