580 EX II Pre-Flash?

michael_wilson9

Recently purchased the 580 EX II for my 40 D.

I am curious to find out if I will be able to tell if the camera pre-fires in ETTL II mode.

I do not see it at all. I have even held the camera away from myself to see if it double fires.

I have the camera set to ETTL II mode as well as the flash.

Do I have to set something else where or am I just not able to see the pre-flash?

thanks in advance.

Mike

Dan's trick works so long as you don't have the * button set to handle AFstart via custom functions. Reset the custom function if necessary to do the test. Another method is to use second curtain sync with a longish shutter speed - e.g. 1/4 sec. That will separate the flashes sufficiently to see them both.

Hello Michael:

I am curious about why you want to see the pre-flash. If your flash is giving you good, consistent results in

ETTL mode, then, the pre-flash must be happening.

I have seen pre-flash through the viewfinder (as mentioned above) under certain conditions (of which I cannot

recall). At first, it unnerved me a bit because I couldn't figure-out why I was seeing flash before the mirror

went up.

I get a pre-flash when I press FEL. It is quite easy to see it because is doesn't happen the instant before the

main flash. I am just not sure if the FEL pre-flash is the same intensity as the "regular" pre-flash. But, if

you want to see a pre-flash, press FEL (pg 102 in the 40D manual).

Cheers! Jay