M4/3 Panasonic - it's there!!!

machts gut

On the dpreview preview, they mention that Panasonic deliberately didn't go for something that looked too radically different from what people perceive as a "real" camera, so I'm willing to cut them some slack on it not being much smaller than the E4xx.

What's interesting to me is that they've apparently done very well with the EVF and the contrast-detect focus speed. Imagine the reaction if Olympus had suddenly introduced an E430 with a high-res articulating display, a 50% larger(!!!) viewfinder with 100% coverage, live-view A, possibly better continuous AF tracking, a dedicated AF assist light, new kit lenses with image stabilization, and the promise of a small 20mm f/1.7 in 2009. When looked at in that light, I think this is a very impressive camera.

The viewfinder alone gives me wet dreams--it's equivalent to a 100% coverage, 0.7x magnification finder in a full-frame 35mm camera. Those happens to be exactly the same specs as the Nikon D3 viewfinder! It's not clear to me from dpreview, but you might even be able to get things like live histograms or overexposure blinkies in the viewfinder--the mere possibility is incredible! If I was a sports photographer, I'd insist on an optical viewfinder at the moment, but the refresh rate will creep up over time, and I'm now willing to bet that the days of the optical viewfinder are numbered.

I'm waiting to see what the price is and what Olympus might introduce, but I can 99% guarantee that my Nikon D40 is eBay-bound.

They can't make any inroads into the DSLR market, so this is what they come up with? Looks like the L10 was the last DSLR Panasonic will be making, which is no big loss.

With no way that I can use my current Olympus system lenses and keep auto focus, and image stabilization in the lenses vs. the body? Thanks, but no thanks. Just confirms for me that I will continue building out my "full-size" 4/3rd's lens outfit and keep buying DSLR's.

I am convinced that this is the way forward for Digital cameras. Olympus made 2 DSLR's which didn't look like DSLR's, E-330 and E-300 both were criticised for not looking like DSLR's. In fact the rangefinder styling was a big factor in low sales. Most people dont want radically different! I wonder about in body IS for the Oly version. Could tempt me back to 4/3.

Olympus has committed in writing to stay with in body stabilization unless I mis read their goals and objectives. This is a cute little number I got to say. If Olympus can introduce a solidly built version with a good all around basic zoom to match I would be interested in it as a travel handy item. It all adds to excitement about how Olympus will address their own version of the new species. Should be fun fun time at Cologne.

Ground breaking camera concept put into a conservative looking shell. These are intended to be the bridge between bridge cameras and dSLR's.... so they chose a design which mimics a bridge camera, which in itself is a mimic of a dSLR. So I understand that they don't wanna rock the boat too much.... but how exactly are people supposed to look at this and think that it's something new and different? Let's hope Olympus throws something into the ring that is exciting to look at. :)

Patrick your a genius, i would buy a vertical format camera in a heart beat. I miss my old Fuji 645 point and shoot! Sadly

though I'm sure it will never happen. Think about it though... the average photo enthusiast takes hundreds of pictures every

year of family and friends, and the vertical format is much more in sync with the human form (tall and skinny). It would make a

lot of sense to make a "portrait format" camera. I personally was envisioning a scaled down L1 camera for the new format, so

when i saw the G1 i was horribly disappointed. Oh well, I have accepted not getting my way ever until i start working for a

camera company's r&d department. Until then, i will stick with what i've got.

Frankly speaking, the Lumix G1 is very far from my expectation. I don't know why, but I imagined a M4/3 camera

with a form factor very close to a rangefinder camera. In other words, a light and essential camera with a

minimalist design, mainly suitable for street photography and reportage. With this in mind, I was a little

disappointed how Panasonic G1 looks like a DSLR instead.

Mauro, if you look at the new images of the Olympus version, they went that direction. I think it's really good for the concept and good for the market that there are two totally different choices with the same mount. One is a scaled down dSLR and the other is an interchangeable lens PNS... perfect balance. I'm sure eventually there will even be models that are a mix of the features of both.

• 2 weeks later...

Rich Simmons wrote: "Curious that the sensor will be left exposed when you remove the lens. They didn't add some kind of curtain. I wonder how that will affect things?"

Rich, I think you'll find it has the 4/3rds SSWF in front of the sensor... indeed, is it in front of the shutter as well? This interview seemed to say this:

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0810/08100201_panasonicinterview.asp