Having trouble deciding..

ethan_chan

I'm stuck between what way to go. Right now I have a Canon XSI w/kit lens, 50mm f/1.8. I know that I definitely

need more range than the 55mm I have right now. I am into generally most types of photography, wide-angle

cityscapes, close up portraits, and sports/nature photography. I think that I need a telephoto for sports and nature.

Should I get.

EF-S 55-250mm IS (250$-ish)

Canon 430exII/580exII external flash (300-400$)

or

EF 70-200mm f/4L (450$, give or take)

I know that the built in flash with the XSI is quite limited, but I can't decide whether to get the external

flash, or the nicer telephoto lens.

If it was me, I would buy the 70-200 f/4L and wait a while until you can afford to buy the flashgun. If you are just starting

photography then you probably already have enough on your plate learning about using your camera. Flash photography -

or rather flash photography that doesn't look terrible - is a whole new can of worms. Just be careful if you do buy the 70-

200 though, Lcoholism can wreck lives...

with an add-on flash unit like the 430 you generally get the same type of image, just more flash output. while you can tilt the flash head, add diffusers, etc, to soften or improve the image it's basically the same type of image as your on-board flash can produce. easiest way to improve pix with the built-in flash (if you haven't already done this) is to dial in about -1 2/3 stops flash exposure compensation, and use flash only to fill shadows not as a main light. this will help balance the ambient light level with flash output.

getting (good) images with strobes is not easy and often requires quite a bit of equipment. would go for the 70-200 for now, and save flash photography for down the road. it's a great lens

The lens and flash hands down. There is no replacement for bounce flash. The 55-250 is great, and an excellent value IMHO. I liked my 70-200F4L quite a bit, and although its image quality is a bit better, the effective 3 stop IS and reasonable optical quality make the 55-250 the perfect choice on a limited budget.