nikon n6006

cathy_deplato

Hello, I have an old nikon n6006, and many lenses for this camera. The body itself broke. I want to upgrade to a

newer 35 mm slr camera for my daughter,. She is starting photography classes. Can anyone recommend a newer

nikon camera that could use these lenses, in the moderate price range. Thank you

<i>> PS.. why the "Next best option" is the N80, skipping the N90/s !!?</i><P>

Incomplete compatibility with G lenses I suppose. Also, it probably doesn't meet Cathy's expectation of "newer" by very much (just a couple of years). :-)

<P>

Although a N6006 owner would not likely have any G lenses, buying a replacement body that would have full functionality with G lenses makes sense, should an aspiring film photographer want to add an additional lens at a later date.

<P>

So yes, the N80 is a real steal and a good match for someone starting photography classes. The F100 is definitely a better camera, but not necessarily a better deal for *everyone* at 4 times the cost.

I skipped the N90 and its "s" variant for the reasons stated above - mostly, forward compatibility and the more recent if not more robust design of the N80. Love the N90s, don't get me wrong. I shot with one for several years. I just would now pick F100 then N80. Given that the original post didn't define "moderate" cost, I offered those two options.

"more recent if not more robust design of the N80"

Actually I have found the complete opposite to be through. The N90s (F90x) is more robust than the N80 (F80) IMO.

Remember that the N80 was not the replacement of the N90s, the F100 was.

Also the N80 doesn't have the Auto Indexing (Ai) tab that will allow older MF (Ai/ Ai-S) and AF-D lenses to relay

aperture settings to the meter. If Cathy already has existing lenses that can be used with the N6006, it is most likely

they will be either MF (Ai/Ai-S) or AF lenses with aperture rings.

Also the N90/s and N6006 share similar User Interfaces, if Cathy's daughter has already had experience using the

N6006, there will not be a steep learning curve adjusting to the N90s like there would with the N80.

Used N6006 and N90s cameras are now as cheap as chips on Ebay.

If funds can be stretched, then the F100 would be good as you can also use them with the newer (but not better) G-

lenses.

The N90s was a great camera but the N80 is more modern. It allows full compatibility with AF-S and VR lenses, and autofocus with standard lenses is much faster than the N6006. If you can spend the money though, the F100 can't be beat in that price range. It truly was a professional camera. I own all four cameras mentioned above and the N80 and F100 are the only two of them that I still use.

Cathy, the best choice to replace the n6006 depends on what kind of lenses you have. Several websites have lists

of compatible lenses and cameras (Ken Rockwell, for instance:

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm

but there are others). Although virtually all Nikon lenses will fit in the socket, different functions (autofocus, distance,

matrix metering) may or may not work depending on lens type and camera capability.

I would check out my lenses and then go online and see which camera works best. (If the lenses aren't "G" lenses

without aperture rings, you might go for a manual FE or FE2.)