Sigma 17-35mm on 400D

matt_bennett3

Can you try it out first? Some older Sigma lenses don't work with newer Canon bodies. Usually results in an error code, and often is tied with stopping the lens down.

This has been an ongoing problem, and every few years there are claims that Sigma has finally gotten a handle on things and it won't ever happen again... ...but then it does. On the other hand Sigma has been very good about "re-chipping" or "re-flashing" existing lenses as long as they are current versions. Unfortunately, the Sigma 17-35 was updated some time after 2001, so yours is no longer current, and may not be upgradable if it needs it. It may not need anything though. I had an early Sigma 17-35 and it worked fine with a Digital Rebel.

I had the most recent and now discontinued incarnation of this lens the EX HSM DG. I may have had a bad sample but it lasted me a week before going back to the shop. I found it soft unless the focus distance was within around 2 meters, at all apertures and at all focal lengths. It exhibited what appeared to be ghosting or motion blur despite the my shutter speed being pretty high.

Conversely on my EOS 3 it behaved itself a lot better, but I use the 400 more so I opted for the canon instead (as was my orginal plan, but I got seduced by the price).

In defence of sigma I have other lenses of thiers, the 10-20 DC which I really can't fault and the 70mm macro which I think is an absolutley superb lens, so I'm not a brand snob, just my experience wasn't very good with the 17-35 on digital.