Response to Best 5 Day Hike near Las Vegas Airport in Late November

michael_becker1

Hi All, I'm looking to do an overnight backpacking trip, probably for 5 nights, anywhere that's within a decent

driving distance from Las Vegas airport. It's my first time out west, and I'd like to do a trip that's equal part

photography, and equal part hike. I was thinking Grand Canyon seems logical since there seems to be a plethora of

long hike options, or Arches or Death Valley though these don't seem to have the same sorts of long hikes. Any

good hike suggestions?

I already responded to your other post, so here's a copy and paste of my response:

Red Rock Canyon is good. It's about 25 miles from the airport, but extremely easy to get to. It's beautiful, and now that the

weather is cooling down out here it is perfect hiking weather. There are camp grounds, and the visitor center has a map

with all of the hiking trails on them, ranging from beginner to very hard. The area is beautiful for photography. Here's a link

to it:

www.redrockcanyonlv.org

It's a rather broad question. The high country areas (or at least the roads in) may already be closed for winter conditions. The lower altitude areas, might be quite comfortable, still could be freezing at night, etc., depending on where you are.

Are you looking for a 5 day out and back, loop trip, or just a lot of hiking with camera gear along?

I'm looking for either a loop trip or just a lot of hiking. Loop trips are always easier since I wouldn't have to arrange a separate pick-up. The concern with winter seems to be that some areas would have higher water levels, making hiking a no-go (someone said Zion would have this problem in the end of November to winter). I don't mind cold, I'm really just looking for a very dramatic landscape to hike through, be it desert, canyon, or mountains. 6 hour drive from the airport is probably the limit too.

There is only one Grand Canyon, and it has no equal. It will test your physical endurance, it will challenge your photographic skills, and it will change your life. In five days you could do a long and wonderful stretch of the inner-canyon Tonto Trail if you can get permits. Most hikes are not loops, but shuttle service is available. And November is perfect weather for hiking from the South Rim.

Six hours would bring you to Los Angeles - not a good backpacking destination. ;) With 6 hours drive, though, you can be in high mountains with winter conditions, late fall, or finally tolerable low deserts. Water is still a problem in many areas, there isn't a lot of water available in a lot of areas (yet there can be some areas with dangerous stream flow conditions).

I think either Grand Canyon or Zion offer a lot of opportunities, lots of trails in both areas, in Zion, the Kolob area and the narrows can have "too much" water, in the Grand Canyon, water availability is limited in most areas.

You may get lucky in Zion and be able to hike from Lee Pass to the East Entrance, but it's a bit of a chance with how

early the snow will come. The descent from the West Rim to the main canyon is doable in winter, but a bit precarious

-- gaiters for sure, and likely crampons and axe. If it hasn't snowed high yet, this is a perfect 5 day trip -- shuttle can

be arranged from a couple companies in Springdale

Nothing in Red Rock is long enough to stretch to 5 days. If you enjoy winter backpacking, you might also consider

the Mt Charleston hike from Kyle to Lee Canyon with connector loop. Again, depends on how early snow comes up

high. I've hiked the peak as late as Nov. 15 with only a couple feet of snow in patches. Nice photos of the gnarled

bristlecones near tree line. Adding a couple other peaks, you could connect this for 3-4 days.

Let us know how your trip goes!