top loader and belt opinions needed

mark_englehart

Hello,

I'm considering getting the belt and 2 toploaders from Lowepro and wanted some opinions on how they perform. I'll

have a 40d with a nifty fifty and a 30d with a Tamron 17-50 along with 2 580ex's. I'll have batteries and cf

cards as well. This is for seconding at a wedding and I want to have easy access to my equipment. I would love to

know what you folks think about this system and how it works for you.

Thank you,

Mark

Mark, I know you're asking specifically about the LowePro gear, but I wanted to give you my ideas and info on how I use my belt system.

I use a Tamrac belt and a combination of Tamrac lens pouches and Sigma lens pouches (the ones they package with their lenses). The Tamracs are just cheaper than the Lowepro, and for me, work just as well. At first, I went with the Batman approach, with flash pouches, 4 lenses, etc., thinking I had to carry everything ON my person. I've since streamlined a bit, and tailor what I carry based on the varying demands of the day.

I usually carry 3 or 4 lens pouches, taller ones in the front left, and they get shorter as you go around my left side. I usually have a Sigma 10-20 up front, a Sigma 24-70 macro, a Sigma 30mm f1.4, and occasionally an 8mm fisheye. The flash stays on the camera during the ceremony, whether used or not, usually not.

Not carrying stuff all the way around the belt helps me squeeze between chatting guests and tight church pews without making a fuss. As the day progresses, I swap out lenses as needed from my main LowePro rolling case which is always nearby. And, during the ceremony, my second camera is either on one shoulder with an 80-200 f2.8 lens, or being shot by an assistant (if I have one that day). After that, it goes back in my LowePro case and the card goes in my pocket for safety.

CF cards stay in my pocket, no real need to bulk up a belt with more stuff. Spare AA batteries remain nearby in the case.

I have the light duty Lowepro belt and some of their pouches. They work fine. I don't know what you mean by 'perform'. They are well made and last. Fairly comfortable, as belts go. Pouches stay in place. What more can you ask for?

I agree with Steve re loading yourself up. You look like a construction man or going on a hike if you load it all up, plus your back will not thank you after 8 hours on your feet. Better to think modular.

Thank you every one for your insight. Nadine I like the idea of "modular" I will most likley have a bunch of stuff in my bag and have the cameras on me. Instead of a belt system are there any really good straps that you folks use? I dont like the stock ones that come with the camera, my cameras are falling forward all over the place with the speedlights on and when I bend over they swing out. I whacked my daughter in the head doing that. thanks again.

I still use my camera sling I crafted. Here's the post. One camera with flash around my neck, using a regular strap, and one camera on my sling. On the other side of the sling, I put my external battery pack. The camera on the sling can have a flash on it or not. You can make a little stay strap for the camera on the sling so it doesn't swing around. It would attach around the lens, to your belt or pants band. Or, using a belt, put an empty lens pouch there. Or, Kinesis makes an empty bottomed camera pouch just for a second camera.

http://www.photo.net/wedding-photography-forum/0093Mb