Best angle for ceremony kiss shots?

steve_c.5

I was just wondering how some of you position yourselves to capture the kiss shot, and whether you discuss it with

your clients beforehand? With many church weddings, we're stuck at the back anyway, so we have a limited angle to

shoot from. But with outdoor weddings, we usually have more freedom to move around. I usually like to sneak around

behind groomsmen or bridesmaids and hide so I'm not in anyone's view, then use a medium telephoto to capture the

ring placement, handholding, and kiss shots. I find that if the bride tilts her head away from my side, all I can see

from that angle is the back of the groom's head and her chin...not a good view. What's better is if the bride

remembers to tilt her head toward my side and the groom remembers to tilt away from my side, because I can see a

much more attractive view of the kiss, and both of them look better if you get the angle right. I prefer this to being on

the audience side and blocking someone's view.

What are your feelings about this subject?

Its a touch one Steve. In your theory, the angle for the ultimate shot could work but the bride has to tilt the head in favor of where you are. Even if you discuss this option or placement, you are still at the mercy of the brides memory which usually go out of window and emotions take over. Secondly, you care about the view of the audience, which is great, but it allows you to be very limited (if you will) with your own position. Ideally you would want to have two photographs. One shooting with somewhat of a telly zoom while you are doing your own thing, thus eliminating getting caught my hit to much. I been to other weddings where photographers just stand in the middle or on the right side/left side and keep shooting. Personally I hate that. In some weddings I reserve a seat in the 3rd or 4th on a side isle and that way when no action is taken place, or I just got shot that I wanted, I can safely rretreat back to the seat and wait for another moment to come. Granted, I when the moment of the kiss happens, I tend to get up few seconds before but position myself in a crouching tiger way where I can quickly snaps few shots and retrieve to the middle of the runway and anticipate the B&G to start working towards me. It works, its not the most pretty way of doing it, but it works in most cases. I been to weddings where they don't even kiss...and if you are caught shooting where the grooms man are...and the B/G are started to walk down...ooooooh boy....:)

I think the best angle is 84 degrees. haha. Actually, I agree that since its a classical photo to include with a photo collection, down the aisle is best. You never know, the Groom may just grab her and dip her real low and plant a good one on her.... then your angle you mentioned above is not ideal. I'd go for the safety of the aisle, and discuss with your bride any additional angle that looks more contemporary beforehand. I'm sure there arent many newlyweds who will resist doing a recreation for that one =) ...

I have to say my favorite shot is from behind the bride and groom at a downward angle, so the B/G are kissing and

you can see a blurred crowd reaction. I think this angle tells the best story of the moment and really shows the

energy of the moment. To properly accomplish this shot you need to communicate with the officiant so they are out

of the way, use a faster shutter speed and practice aiming the camera while holding it as high as you can above your

head.

Also from down the aisle. Why take a chance on a must get shot if there are any risks you won't be able to get a good angle? If you want another angle of a kiss, stage or pose it later, not necessarily in the church. I doubt that the bride or couple are going to exclaim over a unique angle but they will sure complain if you get an unflattering angle. You can advise and suggest all you want--half the time the bride and/or whomever you counsel will forget in the emotions of the moment. I think it is better to leave them alone when it isn't necessary to bother them--they have enough to deal with. Plus, I think a full length is better than a half length or close up, generally (there are exceptions), because you see the context--what is around them--the officiator, the MOH and BM, clapping or smiling and they are clearly standing at the altar. When you are skulking around behind the attendants, you can get blocked or not be able to zoom out for a full length. You can always restage a close-up, with the right head tilt, since you won't see much of the background anyway, or have your assistant take one.

My wedding was outdoors without a wedding party, so it was my (now) husband and I standing in front of an arch with the

minister in front. Our photographer snuck around to either side of us (kind of to the back of the minister) to shoot. Our

minister played along though, and even made sure when he was holding our rings to do it at an angle she could shoot. She

was really good, I hardly noticed her. I don't know if that helps, but I'm just giving you one example. I think your idea

about sneaking behind the bridal party would probably work well, but it would be harder in churches that have rules..

Thanks all for the great comments and ideas. It's always easier when working with an assistant, but I often have to work alone, so I wind up moving around a bit on outdoor weddings. First, I try to find out how long the ceremony goes so I know how much time I have to move around. I don't just like to shoot from one perspective. After I get the kiss, I immediately book it around the right side back to the end of the aisle while everyone is applauding so I can catch them recessing. Again, an assistant really helps here. I really try to stay out of the aisle as much as possible, and try never to get between the crowd and the ceremony.

I do go over my ideas for capturing the ceremony and rings/kiss shots with the bride and her mother, so it's understood what my practices are, and that I can be sure to capture things the way they want. And, as long as the groom remembers to tilt away from me and the bride tilts toward me, I get the best kiss angle, a horizontal chest-up shot of the bride/groom. At least, that's what I shoot for. Nothing's perfect, of course.

It's really not possible to recreate any shots from behind the couple back toward the crowd after the ceremony, because everybody's left by then.

Now, I did one recently in a church, where the groom (a Navy sailor) was going to recreate the famous "sailor coming home" dip shot, and of course, I shot that from the back with a long lens. It does help to discuss these things with the couple, so you are clued in about what they have planned.

It isn't possible to recreate anything with guests in the background, but otherwise, it IS possible to recreate the kiss--use a tele and crop in, showing the front door, or stained glass window behind them since there are no guests. For outdoor weddings, if permitted, I do also skulk around behind the attendants, but if there is an arch, I still shoot the kiss from down the aisle. Planning is good, but I agree with David--half the time people don't remember a small thing like head tilt.

Shawn, I understand your point, but in churches, down the aisle friom behind the congregation is usually the only choice. For outdoor weddings, I'm not going to position myself in the aisle in front of guests to get the shot, it's too intrusive. My theory is that being behind the groomsmen looking toward the bride with their heads tilted the right way gives a great up close shot, and I'm not blocking anyone. If they blow my suggestion, oh well, nothing I can do. I've never had one complain, because I told them ahead of time, and they knew where I was shooting from.

Of course, if I had my druthers, I'd stand in front of everyone and move around as needed, but people would hate me. We just can't do that.

I'm just trying to get everyone's theories and practices here, sharing ideas.

Starting such threads as this gives me a very good sounding board for my ideas, and hearing what others say helps me know if I'm on the right track or not. My ideas AND your ideas may help those who may have had the same question themselves, so hopefully, it's worthwhile.

As for kneeling in the aisle, try doing that at a Catholic wedding! How long can your knees hold out? Mine, after two knee surgeries, not so long. Even with a 20 minute outdoor ceremony, I couldn't do that, and I really would not want to shoot the whole ceremony from that one location. So, I can't really accept kneeling in the aisle as a workable solution, at least from my standpoint. If you find it workable, that's fine for you.

What's great about a Catholic ceremony is you know what's coming, when, and for the most part how long it will last.

I don't kneel in the aisle for the entire ceremony....I move up the aisle and kneel just before the blessing and the kiss.

I move to the left side of the church to cover the B/G recieving communion...I know when it's OK to move about and

when it's appropriate to kneel in the kneeler. I also know how much time I've got to run up to the balcony to get a few

shots without missing a reader...and I know where to position myself for the presentation of roses to the moms and

I've already scouted out if & when there will be a presentation to Mary.