is this worth it?

devon_fox

It's a dead end without factory support, just like every other manual focus 35mm SLR film camera system. Parts availability will become a scavenger hunt. I understand there will be those that are devoted to them, but I wouldn't pay anything but rock bottom bargain prices for anything like that in this day. An M system, even though manual focus and film based is a better option since there'll be support for the later M7 for quite a while, and all the other batteryless bodies will probably outlast film's availability, and I'm not saying film will be gone anytime soon.

>>Devon Fox , Sep 06, 2008; 11:50 a.m.

can I use those lenses on a m series?<<

You can with a specific Leica adapter, rather expensive if you can find one, but there is no rangefinder coupling so it is, at best, a guess focus. Not worth it in my opinion.

As to the price, it is too much.

For $750, I think it would be worth it if the camera and lenses are in good condition. You could always try to knock off a further $50-100 by hard bargaining. The RE is a good camera and both lenses are quite superb although I don't know how much use you'd get out of the 135. I have both lenses and the 135 only infrequently comes out with me. When it does though I quite love the pictures I get - pretty sharp and colour and contrast are excellent. For $750 I don't expect that you could pick up an M with two lenses that would be quite as modern or quite as good. If you had a bit (or a lot) more money to spend you could get an M and one lens that you really do like, say a 35 or a 50. Before making up your mind it might be worth borrowing an R and an M and using them for a couple of days to see which system fits into your style of photography and which you prefer. I agree with D30's response above as regards use of R lenses on M bodies. Happy photo taking.

Hi Devon,

It is certainly worth it. Here in Europe an R-E with 50 mm is around 450 euros. I have one for some years now and it works flawlessly. These

cameras are not that old. Using a recently added 35-70 4.0 is a joy and gives you something one can't do with M.

The M 135 lens is not much heard about, but in SLR it is a cheap an simple tele solution. And remember the R-E camera has

average - and- selective mode. And yes, from the internet I understood the R-E was even taken rather high up in the Himalayas without any

problems, so stop hesitating an buy.

1. What's the condition of each piece?

2. Which 50mm lens? Summicron or Summilux? Which 135mm? How many CAMS?

3. With the above info, check KEH.com for comparison pricing. For example: "Black RE, Ex :: $286"

In the end, it's only "worth it" if those are the actual items you want, and/or if you can resell them for the same or more money.