which is better canon 30D or 40D ?

hadi_tahmasebi

Hadi:

Look at the feature list of each.

Look at sample pictures of each.

If the 30D does what you want then go (stick?) with the 30D.

Only reason I changed from a 20D to a 40D was an encounter involving a waterfall, some mud, a long slide (coupled with some hints of turning the air blue) and a very wet,soggy photographer and camera ;)

40D has faster focus, slightly better high ISO performance, slightly bigger LCD, slightly faster burst mode, in camera sensor cleaning, and perhaps a slightly bigger burst mode buffer and the in camera JPEG's are better too. However if shooting RAW there is really no tangible difference in image quality.

Oh and 40D had a few more mega pixels but this too is insignificant in size of enlargement possible.

Two 20Ds are equal to one 40D, and if you add another 20D you've already got a +10D jump on the 50D! To answer

the original question, I would hope that the 40D is somewhat better in some ways than the 30D since that's the

purpose of replacing one model with a newer one. That being said, the 40D's existence doesn't make the 30D any

'less good' than it was when it was introduced; it's still a superb camera which performs very well and produces

outstanding pictures. I'm quite satisfied with the features and performance of my 30D, enough so that I don't

feel a need or desire to move to a 40D--unless prices drop ridiculously low, which may very well happen now. I

will probably just hang on to my 30D until I can get the 5D replacement. If you are moving from one Canon body to

a 30D or 40D, decide which has the features you want and which is priced to best fit your budget. If you can

afford a 40D, go ahead and get one, but if you want to save some cash, you can get a 30D for a steal these days,

and the extra cash could go towards a lens.

I prefer the 30D to the 40D for the ergonomics. I don't like the way they laid out the buttons on the 40D to accomadate the larger screen. Having the buttons on the side is comfortable on the 30D. With the same buttons along the bottom on the 40D I find I have to take my hand off the camera and repostion it which I don't like. Just personal preference I guess.

Aside from that, IQ is the same 8MP vs 10MP is no big deal. The main advantage of the 40D is all those electonic features which don't impress me.

I own both a 30D and a 40D and I use these two cameras totally interchangeably. The only time I select one camera over the other is when I am shooting on a tripod with a non-tripod ring equipped lens. I select the 30D for that, only because I own a Really Right Stuff L-bracket for the 30D. If my L-bracket was for the 40D, I would use that camera for that type of tripod work.

I really cannot tell the difference between day to day images. if I look at a grouping of images, I have to look at the EXIF data to find out which image was shot with which camera.

That said, there is probably about a $350 difference, plus shipping, between a refurbished 30D from Adorama ($619 with free shipping from Adorama)

http://www.adorama.com/ICA30DR.html?searchinfo=refurbished%2030D&item_no=2

and a new 40D from Adorama ($969).

There is a $350 rebate IF you buy the camera and a Canon printer.

If money were tight, I would have no hesitation in purchasing a refurbished 30D. I have been using one for over a year with no problems. On the other hand, I purchased a 10D and a 350D new and had to send both of these cameras back to Canon for service within the first 90 days of ownership, but have had no problems with them since. I trust the quality control of the Canon Service Center more than the quality control of the Canon Assembly Line.

The $350 plus shipping saved on the refurb 30D over the 40D would almost cover the cost of a 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron lens which makes a nice addition to the 30D.

If money were not short, I would probably get the new 40D just because it is a newer model camera and because of the 12 month warranty (buy it with a credit card like American Express and you double the warranty).

I got a 40D about a week after my brother got a 30D. Both refurbs from Adorama. Both looked brand new, and have

been flawless since purchase. I find the 40D to fall to hand more comfortably and naturally than the 30D, and

have since new, which was one reason I purchased it over the cheaper 30D. I have larger hands than he does, and

he doesn't like the button layout on the 40D. Obviously a very personal choice between either the 20D, 20D Mk II

(30D), 40D or the new 50D.

IQ is very similar between 30D and 40D, I think the DIGIC III is mainly a processing speed upgrade, and that the

14 bit vs 12 bit is overblown in it's importance. I only get about 6 RAW shots on my cheap Ultra II Sandisk 2gb

card, my bro gets more. A faster card will do my 40D more good than the 30D will though.

We shoot with the same lens and it's very hard to tell them apart.

If you want to save money and the 30D feels alright to you, go for that over the 40D. Might even save enough for

a battery grip which would change ergos. Or, like someone else said, get another lens. A fast prime!