Primes - Weddings with Primes only - Anyone?

roman_thorn1

roman - I use primes and love them. started all zoom, thought that 2.8 was fast, and after 90 weddings, I have moved to mostly the 2.0 and faster primes.

the 35mm L, 85mm L and 135mm L are my babies. I have a big bokeh fetish and I like my images to be really sharp, so a 2.8 zoom doesn't always get me the sharpness and isolation that a 1.4 prime at 2.0 will give. the 135mm is frightening sharp, as is the 85 stopped down a bit. the 35mm is pretty darn sharp wide open - much better than any of the L zooms I have seen wide open as is expected.

of course, when the action starts to move fast, I might switch to my zooms, especially in bright light. in dim light, I just shoot more aggressively with both my primes and my zooms and use some off camera lighting.

I started with primes and now I use a 17-35 2.8, a 70-200 2.8 and a 1.4 50...all Nikon. I've done it both ways and I love

what I have right now. My zooms have great image quality and cropping and composing is much faster. I don't see the

allure of shooting at 1.4 when the effective depth of field for a portrait is mere millimeters. I love the selective focus look

but 1.4 is so selective that you are focused on almost nothing. I shoot at 2.8 as necessary, but my preferred f stop for

portraits is 4.0.

I use both. I have found the place and purpose to use both. Image quality wise, my zooms are just as good as my primes for my usage and purpose. When i need the range and have the light, i've got a zoom on. When i need the speed or if i have a need for extra subject seperation, i've got a prime on.