Saunders / LPL 4550

ted___

I owned an LPL4500 for a couple of years and thought it was wonderful. I did prefer to strap it down for solidity but I think that's a good practice anyway. If I had to say something bad about it, it is supposedly set at the factory for alignment. I had to put a couple of washers under the front of the column to level it. I could envison circumstances where that wouldn't work too well (perhaps off on a diagonal instead of straight across like mine was). So, I'd check for that.

If that's right, I'd buy it.

Mike

• 4 years later...
I use Saunders 670 CXL with APO Rodagon 80 mm/f4 for B&W. Although it is made for B&W, I've used Saunders color enlargers at the school. I am very happy with it. Especially APO lens is superb even in B&W. For MF you need 75 mm focal length if your camera is only 6x6 (like Hasselblad), or you need 80 mm if your camera can do 6x7 (like Mamiya)I have Hasselblad camera, but I have 80 mm lens. When I make 8x10 prints, I loose little bit on the side. But over all you have a good choice.

Ted, I have 4550 XLG which is the same only large column. I use 80mm APO Rodagon to print 6X7. I have to diappoint you, there are not too many problems with this set. It's good. The only small problem I had was that column was not aligned with baseboard which was easy to correct by attaching masking tape to the bottom of the easel.