Suggestions for Beach Bird And Macro Photo Trip?

lee_osbourne

Hi,

I have the opportunity to go to an isolated beach in southern NC this weekend and was wondering if any of you have some tips. I am a little concerned since this is my first sand/salt excursion with my Canon Rebel G and also my Sigma 400/5.6 APO. I obviously do not want to do any damage to either. Also, I had planned on using Kodak 400 as well as some 100 speed negative. Any other suggestions on film? I thought I might try some of the Fuji films while there, and possibly some slide film. Any help on what times the birds like to come out, or any other tips would be great. I hope to use this as training for a Florida birding trip in the summer.

<p>

Thanks,

Lee

Sand is potentially your biggest concern (assuming you don't drop it in the water). Sand will be a problem on a windy day, even if you so not see it, it will be in the air. Be especially carefull when changing film.

<p>

For birds morning will probably be your best bet: Good light, fewer people, less wind. The earlier the better.

<p>

Good luck.

Lee, the best beach birding times for me when the tides up and its not mid-day. Get a tide book and a detailed current map of the area (a recent aerial photograph is primo). High tide because the birds get closer to photographer-hiding vegetation (birds tend to go somewhere else when someone is standing out in the open on the beach near them), and not mid-day because of lighting considerations. Use your tripod at the lowest height that you can comforably sit behind, and be patient -- after about 1/2 hr birds, even though they can see you, should be comfortable enough with your presence to naturally move around, perhaps nearer to your camera. Use binoculars to choose well your shooting position before you set-up.

<p>

Sand and saltwater is something you'll learn to be careful around -- changing lenses carelessly can get sandgrains inside you mirrorbox. The key is keeping your hands clean. Careful walking on the soft footing is the only thing you can do to avoid a gear destorying dunk in saltwater -- alittle saltspray can be cleaned off effectively. Good birding! Hans

Some specifics not covered yet:

<p>

Put a filter on the front of your lens, just in case of flying sand and salt. If it is very windy, skip it!

<p>

Put a plastic zip-lock bag over the body and part way up the lens if it is only a little windy; carry several with you in a clean pocket in case the wind comes up, as it usually does.

<p>

Keep your camera equipment and the rest of your gear, including your camera bag, if you use one, off the sand (a milk crate, upside-down, will help as a table above the sand) and in tight cases or thoroughly wrapped in clean plastic. Some kind of hand towels will be a help as you can almost be certain to put your hand(s) on the ground or on sandy equipment for some reason.

<p>

If you can, time it so that you get on the beach and set up as early as possible while the tide is coming in (bring a folding chair that lets you work your camera easily). Stay put and let the rising tide bring the birds up the beach to you. Move slowly and keep your hands and arms in front of your body so movements are not silhouetted and made more obvious than necessary.

<p>

If you can arrange to have a partner, have him/her go away from you (but not along the beach) while setting up or some time later and then walk slooowly back along the beach causing the birds to work along the tide line toward you. Arrange some kind of signal to your friend as to when to stop or continue until the birds are in range. Ideally, beg, borrow or steal a two-way radio, if you know you will have help.

<p>

Don't wear any white or light-colored clothes and don't let anything flap around.

<p>

The rest is patience, good camera technique and luck.

<p>

Regards,

<p>

Frank

GREAT advice from all the responses. Get there as the sun is coming up, or before! and get your feet wet... don't be afraid to get into the water to get the best shots. Without a sturdy tripod, forget it. (except for the flight shots, when you'll be hand holding).

and then be sure to wash the tripod off afterward, and wipe the camera equipment to get salt off.

<p>

Enjoy!