Contax G1 LCD bleed... an issue or not?

I'm thinking of buying a used G1 or G2. I keep seeing that there is an LCD bleed issue which I assume means the

LCD (probably in tune with many of their generation) didn't hold up well and bleed black.

Is there a fix for this, or since the camera is out of production now, is it not worth fixing?

More importantly, what's displayed on the LCD anyway and do you care if you can't see what's displayed?

Or should I get a used M2 instead? My only real reasons for liking the G series are the lower cost (relative to Leica),

available Zeiss optics, and most importantly... AUTO FOCUS (I apologize in advance to all of the rangefinder nuts

who think it has to be 100% mechanical to be worthwhile :)

Thanks in advance!

Hi Keith, welcome to photo.nut.

The bleed issue may be a problem if the entire LCD is blacked out. Why the camera may be useable, it may not be convenient. There are a lot of good G1 and 2s out there not to buy one with a defect. If the LCD is readable, is it worth the discount? I use a Contax IIIa with a dead meter and sticky 1/1000 sec, a 500CM and an MP with a meter., and also have 2 G2s.

OT-What breed of dogs are you using for agility?

Good luck-md

Michael, I run an Australian Cattle Dog, he's 4 now. Our son (not the dog) is 6 months old so we haven't competed this season with the dog. He's a truly awesome dog with a lot of personality and he's pretty much like any other member of our family except for the excessive body hair and bad breath. :)

Charles and James, thanks for the feedback. James, can you clarify what you mean about "if you can handle the way they operate?" I'm quite impressed with them on paper but haven't handled one in person. The only operating issue I've heard about is that the AF is rather loud (one description made it sound like it was as loud as a tiny jet engine) and that the AF resets after each shot, which I would imagine is very annoying and in some respects detracts from the purpose of street shooting unless you just set it to a compromise focus and DOF setting that works most of the time. Anything else I should think about? I really like the fact that the Zeiss optics for them are such a bargain compared to their M mount counterparts, which frankly I can't afford at the moment. I'm kind of set on dumping my film SLR stuff for a film rangefinder if it's the right one, since I'm mostly shooting a digital SLR and when I'm using film its about 99% 6x6.

It also occurs to me just now that even if the bulk of the G1 and G2's on KEH have LCD bleed it may not be that it's horribly common as much as that's what people are trying to give to KEH and KEH in turn can't find homes for them as easily (thus there are a lot on there).

Keith,

What is displayed on the LCD is the drive (single, continuous, timer, & multiple exposure), the ISO setting, and auto focus distance. Assuming you can't read the LCD, well the ISO is self set by the camera via the DX reading of the film cartridge so that won't be a problem unless you want to change the ISO setting from what the camera reads off the cartridge and knowing the auto focus distance is not a big deal, in my opinion. But knowing the drive mode you're in is important and would be the biggest problem, I think.You would have to press the drive button then try the camera to figure out what mode it is in, press the drive button again and try the camera again.

I have a Contax G1 green label, which means it is set to take the 35/2 lens and the 21, whereas earlier pre-green label G1's were not and it shows absolutely no LCD bleed. I don't think bleed is actually a problem common to the G1, although a well used camera that has spent a lot of time in the sun may show it (purely speculation in that it may also be a problem related to the Contax's source of the LCD. I'm guessing that over the production life of the G1 & G2 they didn't stick with the exact same source of many of the outsourced components, like the LCD).

The auto focus is noisy but I wouldn't call it like a small jet engine. I'd say it is more like Canon SLR auto focus lenses before the advent of the ultrasonic motors and would put it on par with quite a few compact digital cameras popular today i.e., it won't be a sound that people are not accustomed to these days in terms of digital photography.

The G-1 is a great, quirky camera. Get one w/o the issues w/ a 45mm lens for around $300. The 90 is a fantastic portrait lens. Squinty viewfinder, but you either get used to it or you don't. I used to stress over the AF noise until I figured out that it's because you have the camera scrunched up to your face. To your subject it's basically inaudible.

I own an early G1 (silver label) and it shows the LCD bleed. I bought this camera new and it has been used carefully and just once or twice a year. So the bleeding has no relation whit any kind of abuse.

My camera and all G1s I have seen (many, in stores) shows the problem just on the small frame counter LCD, not on the big LCD with all the camera setup information. None I have seen had a completely unreadable frame counter, just ugly. Is not my case, but I'm sure I would continue using this great camera even if the frame counter was completely lost.

On the other hand, my G2 is absolutely perfect... until now.

Marcelo,

That is wonderful to hear. I hope your G2 continues to work perfectly for many more years. My G1 continues to work perfect after 12 years. I don't use it as often as I once did but it continues to please me when I do use it. I love the results I get when I load it with Kodak E100G, Fuji Provia 100F, or my diminishing stock of Agfa RSX II (Agfa RSX II is a gorgeous film! A shame it is no longer available... but I still have 50 rolls in the freezer).

• 1 month later...
I got a BGN from KEH for $149, with the LCD bleed. It only effects the lower left corneer of the LCD of the film counter, and then less than 10% of the area, I still see the numbers just fine. Added a 45mm for around 130, and was into the was into the world of Zeiss glass for under $300, first shoot with the camera coming up, has given some exceptional resutls with cheap consumer fuji. Got some Kodachrome of the bay, and can't wait to try it this weekend.