advance lever stand off

brad_riley1

Michael,

I have not been able to try a leica because there is no dealer locally. I ask because of problems I've had in the past with other

cameras. I would still be happy to know if the advance lever needs to be out to meter, but it's good to hear that it should not

be a problem.

thank you

As others have said, the position of the advance lever does not affect the functioning of the meter.

You should also be aware that Leica makes a bottom-mounted mechanical accessory winder, the Leicavit, which is especially useful for left-eye-dominant shooters. With the Leicavit you could not only meter but also shoot and wind on without moving the camera or poking yourself in the right eye.

You could also use the Leica Winder, which requires batteries.

The pivoting plastic piece on Leicas subsequent to the M2 and M3 improves the amount of clearance for left-eyed shooting. And if you have, or buy, an M2 or M3, the winding lever can be replaced with the pivoting type. But you don't have to extend the lever to use the meter on metered Ms.

When you cock the shutter however, the lever will hit you straight in the eye, if you have the money, i would look at a rapidwinder from Tom Abrahamson. The device attaches on the bottom of the camera and winds the film and shutter mechanism by pulling on a vertical lever that runs horizontally under the camera.