Canon 50d sample pics.

mars c

"5 years ago 6400 didn't even exist on digital cameras, and 400 looked terrible and grainy."

While the bogus ISO 6400 is new (anything over unity gain is just after-the-fact pushing), the Canon 300D was released exactly 5 years ago, looked really good at ISO 400, and was jaw-droppingly impressive at ISO 1600. All the 6MP dSLRs were way ahead of film at ISO 400 and above by that time.

Since then, the improvements in APS-C cameras have been incremental. (FF is a different story. But even there, the 5D is 3 years old, and the D3/D700 are only incremental (less than 2/3 stop) improvements.)

"Why all the angst over some sample images of different subjects in different environments by photographers with little

experience with either camera?"

Because that's what armchair photo pundits do!

Sometimes the light’s all shining on me. Other times I can barely see.

- Robert Hunter

Ok, the 3200 samples on dpreview for the d90 do look better than the 6400 samples of the 50d canon. A sample of 3200 for

each and 6400 for each might have been more helpful, but i know that doesn't always happen with the review sites. Does the

nikon focus better too in low light situations? that is a beef of mine with canon. I am man enough to concede that the nikon

looks better, but i have too much money tied up in canon glass, i still can't switch.

Roger,

There is a 6400 sample of the d90, the one with the news paper on it, Compare it to the noise of the 50d on the fruits pics, It is easy to see that the d90 have better looking noise, even on different scenes.

As like you , I'd like to buy the nikon d90 , But then I also have to buy a decent nikon lens to go with it ,And I have alot ( for me) invested in canon system, So , I cant just switch or buy the d90.

Hopefully, the full production units will be fixed.