Gifts for the Bride/Groom/s Parents?

amanda___minnesota

I'm looking for some ideas here... I'd like to send some sort of something to the Bride and Groom's parents

after the wedding... Although I haven't come up with anything that isn't too cheesy! I thought about a little

(3x3) album, but I thought that would deter the 'parent' album purchase from later on...

Thank You cards? Too generic? A gift certificate for something later on? My thought would be to give them

something to pass around (cards) to perspective buyers from me on their behalf. i.e. Christmas/Holiday cards,

etc...

Does anyone else do that sort of thing??

It's a selling point we do and thats give the parents a parent album. They cost around $50 to $100 or so, then they order prints to fill the album. This way you can make a slight profit or break even, whatever you wish to do. You can also give them a magazine style book of all of the images. Most pro wedding labs offer this for about $25-$50, depending on the amount of shots you took at the wedding.

Without being pushy, why? You, as a photographer, provided a service for the wedding. Christmas is in December....is there a reason for your planned 'gift giving' in August-September? If the parents 'tipped' you in a manner you are happy with, a thank you letter should do.

Asking for help in drumming up more business may not be the best thing for you to do. If your photography was top-notch, that will gain you a few referrals.

I guess I didn't think of it as 'drumming up more business' in that respect... I think I might have been thinking maybe on the lines of what Bob was saying... give them a little so hopefully they would consider buying more?!?

It's not something I'm die-hard on doing, but I was just exploring the possibilities... I have little things I do for the couples as a 'Thank You', but I thought it would be nice to do something for the parents... Especially those who 'supported' the purchase!

I doubt that Gerald needs a lecture on customer service....a couple of carnations or mints on your pillow can be a

nice touch and doesn't cost much.....but, I suspect that the OP is considering spending a significant amount more

(such as the 3x3 mini-album).

Are gifts such as that likely to stimulate purchases from the parents? I donno, my experience with the DVD

slideshows hasn't been overwhelming, it might actually hinder post-event sales. Gerald has a valid point.

I'm all into the 'retail' of my business, partly because I L*O*V*E to get presents, but not nearly as much as I like to watch people open theirs... That's kind of the idea. I want them to think... Wow, she was really busy, but she took the time to introduce herself to us and now she sent us a little 'something'.... Anyway - I don't think I'd do the DVD's or even the albums... Maybe just a dozen beautifully designed cards would do...

Thanks for the input! This isn't coming from a 'competitor's' POV, but it's nice to see how the rest tie up loose ends and make a final impression.