Hi,

I am just about ready to purchase the NEC 2490 monitor. The only other thought I have at this time is possibly the Apple Cinema 23".

Does going with the NEC 2490 sound like a good decision? I know there is a ton written on the internet about these two monitors and I

know they are both highly recommended. But I have never seen a comparison and wondered if anyone could please offer any helpful

comparison/advice on the matter. I am a PC user and don't know whether that would influence the decision either way.

Thanks,

John

2690wuxi is, I believe, wide color gamut while the 2490wuxi is not. If considering the 2690, you should investigate this, because the wider gamut sometimes causes oversaturated colors in applications that are not color-managed - i.e., internet explorer, MS Office, etc. It may or may not bother you. And there are ways to circumnavigate it. But worth carefully considering before jumping in.

I have a 2690 and a apple cinema display, i love both. As a professional, color rendition and being able to believe 100% what i see on screen is crucial. After some years of usinga Apple Cinema Display, i had to change it with something better because my monitor was a little off from left to right (even after hardware calibration). Bare in mind that i use it more than 50hrs a week for the past 3 years, so that is very demanding for a monitor.

I decide to change it for something similar or better and find that the 2690 was the thing to buy. Honestly both side by side are pretty equal as for color, the 2690 seem a bit more bright and alive when i compare skin tone.

In the end, its depend if your using it as a pro, have money to spend, and if you could see the difference between the 2. Some user have report a Viewsonic as well as for quality vs price. worth looking.

If you decide to go the NEC road, buy it with the complete color calibration system for around 160$ more..worth every penny.

Go for the 2490 or 2690, and then buy the NEC Spectraview software. That will permit you to utilize the hardware lookup tables in the monitor itself, something that cannot be done on the Apple Cinema display.

The Apple monitors have been around for a long time. They're probably due for replacment sometime soon.

The one i have is about 2years old. the images i have on both my nec and acd are pretty similar, but i as i said, the nec seem a little more *alive*. But for someone who dont have the money, the need, or for whatever reason, its still a real good choice..i would buy one my eye close in need.

Dont confuse the 20-24inch Imac vs the stand alone ACD 23inch.

if you take the NEC, i suggest you also take the spectraview software.

It is worth the difference for the common mortal? nope.

but if you are a bit tight on your $, the apple cinema display 23inch is a excellent choice. I have work with it (a 20inch & a 23inch) for more than 4year as a photo retoucher, and was always really satisfy of the quality.

Sure some will said that for the $ you can have something different..a samgung, a viewsonic, a dell..but in real day to day life that i work with, none that i have seen was equal to a apple..except my new NEC that is a bit superior *visually*.

You already have a excellent colorimeter, thats a good start : )