I have a pregnancy complication and still have 9 weddings left for the year.... need advice

jackie_boldt

Let me explain a little bit what my situation is...

I am 19 weeks pregnant and have 9 weddings left for the rest of the season, the last one ending on November 1st.

I just had an ultrasound done on Wednesday and found out that I have a condition called Placenta Previa. To sum

it up, there is a 50/50 chance that I would have to be put on bedrest. There is the possibility, though, that I

won't have to go on bedrest. In order to help my chances for not ending up on bedrest, I should rest as much as

possible and try not to lift heavy things. Also, most of the time, the bedrest will come later in the pregnancy,

after my weddings are over.

Here is my question... do I tell my brides? The reason I would tell them is so they are aware of my condition

when I am sitting down resting for a minute during formal pictures, for example. I am planning on having someone

else there with me for the day helping me out. The reason for not telling them is not to worry or concern them.

Anyone have any experience with something like this coming up?? Thanks!

Jackie -

Being a man, I can't relate very well, however as a father of three and a husband of a wonderful wife who had two miscarriages I can only say - Take care of yourself first.

Be open and upfront with the brides...have a backup photographer ready and willing to go just in case and introduce them to the couples, so that if you do get bedrest early - they aren't freaked out by a stranger showing up to do their photos.

Dave

I agree... Weddings seem so important only until after its over for most. Your child's health matters forever. I would arrange for a backup, and if you need to two or three backups just incase they have something to do, and talk to the brides. If any of them don't understand you probably don't want to work with them anyway.

Jackie,

When my wife got pregnant, I called all the brides who were in the 3 month prior and one month after period of time to let them know. I said I would either 1) Help find another qualified photographer for their day or 2) Keep their contract open and hope it did not happen, with the caveat that once it began, I would be leaving my second shooter there to finish.

In your case I would encourage you to tell them asap and ask how they would like to handle it. If you mess things up now, you may no longer be able to get bookings with the reputation to come (or not?).

Hope you stay well and that baby is healthy and beautiful.. D.

Jackie, I very much hope all goes well with you and child. If I were your partner, I would encourage you in the strongest possible terms (whilst remaining civil) not to do those weddings at all. Its really not worth it. But, if you haven't networked with other photographers in the area who you could contact to take over your responsibilities, then you are in a more difficult situation. That said, I suggest - as per the above posters - to immediately contact the bridal couples and other photographers to arrange a transfer of your responsibilities. Don't mess with health issues for the sake of a job, its never ever worth it!

As I understand the issue: you have 9 jobs contracted spanning Week 19 to Week 29 of your pregnancy.

Also, just explained to me and in synopsis: Placenta Praevia (usually and depending upon the degree), requires specific attention to begin (as described, like bed rest) around the last weeks of the second trimester . . . that is about W22 to W26.

In the case of rapid onset of symptoms, Placenta Praevia can, in some circumstances, require immediate, emergency medical attention.

Not a medical opinion, but a business opinion:

1. No, I would not address the issue by telling the clients your condition and that you might need to sit down during the formals.

2. I suggest you arrange for another lead photographer to be available for all your remaining Weddings.

3. I suggest you inform your clients that these arrangements have been made, and the reason for the arrangements and that the arrangements will be executed, should the circumstance require.

4. I suggest you be accepting of the fact that some clients might wish to make alternative arrangements, if this is the case, and if I were you, I would provide them every assistance for it to be so.

On a personal note, all the very best with your confinement.

WW

Congratulations, first of all.

Photography is what is termed a "personal services" business, meaning that unless otherwise stated you personally will do the shoot.

If your looking to have children -- and this is wonderful -- might you not consider this up front when contracting with the brides?

Being straight up in business is paramount. I have read on this website over the years photographers offering every excuse. Why not give your clients the truth and let them decide?

Besides your medical condition and its care -- some people would deem a pregnant woman doing a wedding shoot inappropriate.

Jackie -

First, congratulations on the baby!

Now, on to the matter at hand. I had two little girls over the last two years, so I know the pros and cons of wedding photography while expecting. While I have known ladies whose placenta previa has resolved itself, most I have known did end up on strict bedrest.

As you stated, the key to not getting put on total bedrest is to limit your activity now - and in my opinion, being a wedding photographer doesn't really allow for limited activity. I would say to not do these weddings at all, if you can help it. Network with other photographers/assistants that can replace you, and then alert your brides to the situation and the backup plan you are implementing. Handling the situation properly will keep your reputation intact, and lower all parties stress levels!

Take care of yourself and your baby!

Thank you to everyone for your congratulations, responses, and advice!

Here is my predicament... I would absolutely love to not worry about taking these weddings. I know that I could find

capable photographers to take my place for these brides if necessary. My problem is that I cannot afford to give up all

of that income. At least, my husband and I haven't sat down and gone through the numbers yet, however, I don't think

we could swing it financially. We are going to look and see if this is a possibility, though, prior to making any statements

to my brides. I would be giving up over $10,000 in income by not doing these weddings.

Here is my initial plan prior to going over the numbers:

Give the brides my situation and give them three options:

1) Get out of the contract with me and with my assistance, find a replacement photographer for the same or less money

as what I originally quoted them

2) Have my associate take over my weddings at a reduced price (she has most of those dates open and the nice part

about this is that I would get some of her income)

3) Take their chances and keep me booked to do their wedding

Thoughts?? If we can't swing this financially, this seems like a good plan of action. That way, I'm giving them the

choice up front.

Thanks again!!

Jackie

> Give the brides my situation and give them three options: . . . Thoughts?? If we can't swing this financially, this seems like a good plan of action. That way, I'm giving them the choice up front <

I disagree that this is a good business plan of action.

IMO it has potential fatal business flaws.

It relinquishes control of the situation and implies the solving of the ``problem`` is to be the client`s issue and action.

Nothing you have subsequently written makes me deviate from my initial advice.

The fact that you know you can find capable photographer and that you actually want to do the Weddings yourself, even strengthens my action plan, IMO.

To reiterate, in order:

1. I suggest you arrange for another lead photographer to be available for all your remaining Weddings: this is now confirmed it can be done.

2. I suggest you inform your clients that these arrangements have been made, and the reason for the arrangements and that the arrangements will be executed, should the circumstance require: full disclosure to clients, and you maintain control and show clients that even with issues out of the blue you are professional and their care and job takes an high priority, and that you are capable of dealing with any situation.

3. I suggest you be accepting of the fact that some clients might wish to make alternative arrangements, if this is the case, and if I were you, I would provide them every assistance for it to be so: shows that if the CLIENT asks, you are flexible, reasonable and understanding of the special circumstances and professional to assist.

IMO the above approach maintains control with you and moreover shows to your client that you are in control.

IMO, your options 1 to 3 in order, immediately relinquish control of the situation and moreover (subtly) suggest that you are not in complete control and desire the clients to solve the ``problem`` by making a choice of three options, which suit you.

The final choice of suggesting a client ``take their chances with me`` is IMO tantamount to business suicide.

WW

First, I would like to say that I am providing input with much caution since last time another photographer near her due date asked for advice, most replies came from men and we almost got our heads bit off by some of the ladies in this forum because we dared put ourselves in their shoes.

Anyways, back to your situation. Just be up front and tell the B&G your situation. If they decide to look elsewhere, then that's something you will have to accept. If they allow you to subcontract and let somone else do the photography while you do the editing, that may lessen the burden of being at a total loss. You already know that your health comes first so now you have to decide what's best for business. William made a great point. Don't commit to something you may not be able to carry out. Bottom line, tell the couples your situation and let them decide.

Jackie,

You need to discuss this with the people you have contracts with, then make suitable arrangements for substitutes or assist them in doing so. You probably have specific obligations under your contracts and/or under local contract law as to what your obligations are when it's clear that you won't likely be able to fulfill your obligations, so discussion with your lawyer might be appropriate if things don't get worked out smoothly - although I don't see it likely that there would be any problems if qualified substitutes can be arranged.

You absolutely do need to deal with your health and the baby's first but still you need to maintain a professional business approach to your customers as well.

<p>I'd look at this as a business decision - not a medical decision.</p>

<p>The substantial facts are that there's a limited but real possibility of your non-availability for certain clients whose

bookings you have agreed, and who have hired you in good faith. There's nothing unusual there; plenty of photographers

find their circumstances change over time with possible prejudice of a previous booking.</p>

<p>Simple answer is be totally up front and keep your clients informed, and respect the fact that they may wish to

change their mind. If they do change their mind give them every assistance and refund any fees that may be due without

fuss. Anything less than this puts you in a poor position both legally and ethically, and leaves the possibility of litigation

in the worst case, or damaging your reputation in the best case.</p>

<p>Best wishes.</p>

Ah! That's a great suggestion about the editing! That definitely helps with keeping some income in my pocket.

I have figured out a good situation with my associate. I will be having having her be the lead, but I will go with to all of

the weddings making sure she has the correct settings, lighting, formal set-ups, etc. I'm still giving my clients the option

to get out of the contract if they want, however for the ones that want to stay with me, I will have my associate take the

lead for alot of the pictures. That way, I can rest during formals or other parts of the day. And, if I did end up on

bedrest, she would do the weddings on her own with me editing the pictures.

One last question for everyone. Most of these weddings are priced at my higher price-point, however there is one 7-hour

one who booked me when I had first started out for $100/hour. Yes, she hired me over a year and a 1/2 out. I honestly

just want to hand this one over to my associate and let her do this wedding. I don't know exactly what to tell her, since I

will be at the other weddings that I'm doing. She will probably know this, since I will still be posting pictures on my

photoblog from the other weddings. Any suggestions on how to go approach this? Am I stuck treating this wedding like

the rest of them?

Thanks!