Mamiya C330 with black bar on the bottom of some frames

afton_gayle

I had a C330f a number of years ago. As mentioned above, frame spacing in Mamiya TLR's is not precise (like a Hasselblad for example) at the best of times. Overlapping frames is a common problem. My guess is the black sky above the Arch de Triumph is covering the bottom of the frame above it. The only remedy is to have the camera repaired. I don't recall what it cost me but it wasn't all that much.

In addition to the above, double check that the film pressure plate is correctly set to 120 and not 220 (that'll screw up

your frame spacing for sure). If I recall, you push down and rotate it 180 degrees. And finally, the thickness of the

take-up spool can cause overlapping problems. Look at the one onto which you wound the film during your shoot. If

it's an oddball then you can get overlap as well. If none of this works for you then it needs servicing which is well

worth it in my opinion. TLR's are great MF cameras and I shot some incredibly sharp images with mine. Good luck.

Might be worthwhile to practice with a cheap roll of 120 film. I did this in the past when I first got a C330 and when I got a

Hasselblad 501CM. It can be a little bit tricky at first. A practice roll will allow you to advance the film and watch to be sure

everything is working as it should.

I note that the white band is in the same place as the car headlights in the second photograph. Was there a significant difference in the exposure time between the two? Is it possible that the white band is a merging of the car lights over a long exposure? Were all the photos of the same scene taken on a tripod? Were you bracketing your exposures? It's possible that there is nothing wrong with the camera!

• 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
<p>I would love to read how this all worked out? I have a similar issue on my DSLR... only when I use an external flash. As it seems, the faster my shutter speed, the more of the black bar I get in my picture. I'm 100% sure that this has got nothing to do with my camera (and because it is a digital camera, it's got nothing to do with handling of negatives either). When I use a shutter faster than 1/250, the bottom of the picture gets cut off. No idea why, but determined to find out. Any suggestions are appreciated :-)</p>