Sigma 500mm f/4.5: DG vs. non-DG

jeremy_inglis

Hi,

I currently have the non-DG version of the Sigma 500mm f/4.5, which I use with a Canon 40D and 20D. When I

used the lens with film cameras, I was very pleased with its sharpness and lack of any noticable chromatic

aberration. However, with digital, the C.A. is very noticable on contrasty shots: say, a white bird against a dark

background.

So, I`m thinking of upgrading the lens, either to a Canon 500mm, or the DG version of the Sigma 500mm. I`m

tending to discount the Canon on the grounds of extra size and weight, and the fact that my photography style

involves a lot of walking around - and I`m not getting any younger!

So, what I`m really asking is, has anybody compared the performance of the two Sigma lenses (DG and non-

DG), and does the DG version have less C.A.? Are Sigma 500 DG lens owners happy with its quality?

Hope that makes sense!

Thanks,

Jeremy.

What do you need?

The Canon 500/4 is more flexible in that if you add a 1.4x extender, you're at f/5.6. With the Sigma, you'd be smaller than that. 5.6 is the magic number for autofocus to work on the non pro bodies. If you have a 1 series body, it doesn't matter. If you don't, then you'll lose autofocus.

I would spend the extra money if I were doing it and get the Canon. You'll get IS, too.

Eric

Hello Jeremy,

Is there not a software option that would reduce the CA with your present Canon/sigma set-up.

You may remember i suffered the same problem with my nikon gear, and it was solved perfectly adequately with capture NX {usually completely disappears, or is massively reduced}.

My old pentax 500/4.5 was notorious for CA { on both film & digital}, and my previous nikon 400/2.8, and present 400/3.5 both suffered occasionally. However, the files from all three lenses are now as clean as a whistle {after a run through the software}.

Maybe there is a free sofware-download that will do the trick for your gear. Worth a try, and cheaper than a new lens {especially if you are happy with your present lens, apart from only the CA}

Alan

Just an afterthought Jeremy...........if you decide to look at a software solution.

Although Capture NX would probably not recognise your Canon raw files, the CA reduction function does work on tiff's, and therefore you could likely use NX that way.

Let me know, if you decide you may go the software route, and i will happily send you a 'before and after' sample if you like.

Alan