Cleaning F3 viewfinders

janvanlaethem

I have noticed that my high-eyepoint finder DE-3 and action finder DA-2 have several dust specs inside them. Nothing

that really prevents focusing, but nonetheless I'd like to know how to clean them out. Can I just remove the screws

on both finders, open them and clean them out, or is there something I need to know first? I have a set of small

screw drivers but no other specific equipment, nor any previous experience with this.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks

Jan

Unless someone posts an answer indicating how to disassemble an F3 viewfinder, I would advise leave well enough alone. I know it can be irritating but the risk of damage may not be worth the effort? Of course, you may have spare viewfinders, in which case you may want to experiment. What should be relatively easy (and less risky) is to unscrew the eyepiece and blow dust out from behind that?

From my experience, you can 'skin' a DE-2 or DE-3 finder pretty easily, but I don't recall if that gets you access to where dust may hide to blow it out.

I once skinned mine while still mounted on the camera to solve a jammed finder issue. That allowed me access to the latch bars internally and solved my problem.

And I agree with Peter that the dust would have to be pretty egregious before I would resort to pulling the finder apart to fix a dust issue.