UV filter is stuck on my lens... ahhh what to do

holden onto the moment pho

Nichole,

To remove a stuck filter, I like to use one of those rubber sheets that you probably have in kitchen to remove jar lids. It will grip without your having to squeeze (and, thus, distort) the filter. Good Luck.

Steven

You may have to do it with patience. First remove the lens from the camera body and put on the back lens cap.

Lay it vertically up on a soft surface, say your sofa, with the lens pointing up (filter on top). Use a non-slip

cloth and even pressure from the hand around the filter rim to slowly but firmly turn it - if not budging - try

gripping on different parts around the rim. Avoid contacting the filter glass as you probably need to do this

with the front cap off. Try that a few times to see it works.

Press your fingertips against the front edge of the filter and rotate counterclockwise.

Do not press against the threads.

Some filters/adapters bind terribly. I struggled and struggled with one til I inadvertently did just what I described in the first sentence. It came off easy as pie.

One more thought - according to the law of physics, metal expands when heated. So if all things fail, if you have warm hands, trying holding the lens main body a few good minutes without touching the filter and then try removing the filter. Hopefully by warming the lens up a few degrees, it may just be enough to ease the tightness around the thread.

Nichole, look for a wider rubber band and lay around the filter rim ... gently squeeze and turn while holding the upper lens barrel ... I guarantee it works nice and easily every single time. I have used this technique all the time whenever needed to remove/mount an oil filter for oil change on my car ... btw, it's my very own invention since long time ago :).

If the above fails, put the lens in your freezer for an hour or two. Get it really really cold. The materials in the filter and the lens thread will contract at different rates and you will be able to unscrew them easily, especially if combined with one of the tricks mentioned above. After the filter comes loose, immediately put the lens into a tightly sealed plastic bag. If you don't, moisture will condense on it and in it, possibly causing problems later. Let the lens warm to room temp before taking it out of the sealed bag.

Kent in SD

Got to admit guys in the end I took a really brutal approach. I squirted it with WD40 (<i>do you have that in USA?</i>) left it half and hour and then put the filter in my bench-vice and twisted the lens. It offered no further resistance. I gave both a good clean up and no harm was done.

Graham, probably not the best idea. We do have WD40 in america, but i would never use it on a camera, let alone a lens. Its a sure way to remove the multicoating.

The best bet for a stuck filter is a filter wrench. A handy device that will almost always work and at a very low cost. I suggest that everybody invests in one for each filter size they own.