Default MF for wildlife - Mamiya 645

jmooney

Hi All,

I've been looking in to getting set up to do some wildlife work and I'm torn a bit. Subjects will be animals,

usually in parks and preserves. I tend to gravitate toward bigger birds like hawks, herons, waterfowl, etc.

I've been looking into Nikon glass as I have some limited 35mm and digital but I'd like to go about 400mm and the

only way I can do that well is with manual focus and none of my current bodies can meter with manual lenses (and

even with AF lenses it'd be slow so I'd wind up using MF anyway most likely.) So I'd be looking at a body and

lens or a 300mm AF lens plus a TC.

I've also been looking at getting in to the Mamiya 645 (Pro TL with motordrive) system and I can get the reach I

want with the Mamiya 500mm lens and maybe a TC too. Since I'll be focusing manually I might as well get a bigger

negative out of the deal. Cost wise it comes out similar to the Nikon solutions above (I buy KEH BGN 99.9% of the

time).

So my questions are:

Has anyone shot wildlife with this type of setup before?

What were your experiences?

Any other suggestions about MF and wildlife?

Thanks and take care,

Jim

You'd need a lens 60% longer to get the same effect in a 645 camera as in 35mm - over twice as long if your present camera is a cropping DSLR. There is nothing comparable for medium format to the 400mm to 600mm lenses used for bird and animal photography with a 35mm-style camera.

On the other hand, medium format is really nice to use for closeups. The working distance at the same magnification is proportional to the focal length and most lenses behave very well with extension tubes even if not specifically designed for macro work. Landscapes too benefit from the large film area and superb lenses.

Even though you may technically need a lens 60% bigger, you can crop the medium format negative to the same size as that of a 35mm one and it will, in theory, have the same detail and magnification.

So, if you're willing to crop sometimes and benefit when animals are closer, I can see the 645 system working for you.

<i>you can crop the medium format negative to the same size as that of a 35mm one and it will, in theory, have the same detail and magnification. </i>

<p>

In theory, perhaps, but not in practice! If you want 35mm results, shoot 35mm film and save 2/3rds the cost of materials and equipment.

• 1 month later...

Hmm... Given that this is heavier equipment, I'd suggest that it works really really well for wildlife! There is the 300

and 500 and the 2x extenders (the glass is supposed to be better for the N 2x extender - so that means get the AF,

not ProTL, but if budget doesn't allow then you'll still be great) and the exotic 300 and 500 (with lower max aperture)

which aren't sooo slow after adding the 2X.

As long as you know ahead of time about the weight and size, I'd definitely say go ahead with the Mamiya stuff for

wildlife. Now - I do agree that 35mm is better for wildlife for 3 reasons - 1) size/portability, bounteous choices for

very long lenses (500mm+), and - and this is important too - very very good Autofocus. It is very hard on an

autofocus to track flying birds and all that. Mamiya doesn't do so well at that in real time.

But your results will be awesome assuming that things are in focus and that you can carry the camera. If you have

the intention of becoming a wildlife photographer, I might go 35mm. If you want to include wildlife as a part of your

photog experience, then go MF no problem at all.

All the traditional benefits will apply - incredible amazing enlargement potential and some would suggest that MF

glass is better than 35mm in very slight subtle ways (I've heard microcontrast, '3d' look/feel, wide angle lenses are

better). I don't want to get into that as that is a topic people will argue endlessly, but suffice it to say, you will

benefit from all the MF perks if using it for wildlife.