Elinchrom Style FX or BX?

sean_pollock3

I am getting ready to buy my first studio lighting kit and have selected the Elinchrom Style 400 (a balance

between price and performance) but am not sure if it is really worth spending the extra bit of hard earned cash

and plum for the BX rather than the FX. The only difference I can see is the BX having a user replaceable flash

tube and have been told by an Elinchrom dealer that the FX tube should last at least 5 years anyway, not even

taking advantage and trying to upsell.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

The BX recycles faster at 1 sec at full power vs the FX at 1.2 sec (on 230V). And it has the user-replaceable flash tube. I know which I'd

prefer - it's not just that the flash tube wears out, what about if you break it accidentally?

You could possibly save money and order the kit from the US, taking the price difference out of the equation...

Good point Rudi, actually never thought about breaking the tubes.

I did check out buying it in the US (B&H Photo) but with shipping it works out about the same price and I'm also one of the unfortunate souls that always seems to get hit by customs charges!

I have now ordered the FX which should arrive today, will just have to be careful with it!

Thanks for the input guys.

Not the end of the world, Sean - I mean, it's not like you wouldn't have to wait after you ordered a spare flash bulb, just like

you would have to wait for a repair to be finished if something happens to your FX strobe. Probably not that important, I just

like to be able to change the thing myself.

And congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you will have many years of problem-free shooting with your Elinchrom

strobes.