LCD PIXEL Canon/Nikon

korys_ins

I went on a cruise last week and notices all the photographer are using a Nikon D300 a year ago in my previous

cruise they where all using a canon D30 so I decided to ask why the switch they told me that they all preferred Nikon

due to the fact the LCD is more clear and make their job a lot easier to be able to view a very clear image so I looked

on there LCD and its very true the quality of the image look a lot better than on my canon D40 when I got back I

decided to do some homework and this is what I found out the Nikon LCD have 922,000 Pixels and the canon’s all

of them have only 230,000 Pixels which make it almost 4X more pixels does any one know if Canon is doing any

upgrades on the LCD as well, I have been using canon equipment for the past 10+ years and happy with the quality

of there equipment but it sure be nice to have a better LCD, I’m sure if some one starting new will properly consider a

Nikon the screen sells itself, and since the feature are almost the same in the case of the cruise they where all using

kit lens so they did not have any special lens so the transition to Nikon was no big deal, I just hope canon will work

on that Your Feed back is appreciated

Canon has upgraded from 2.5" to 3" screens (keeping the resolution) on the new cameras so you can expect further updates, perhaps including more pixels, but my crystal ball is a bit fuzzy on this one.

<br>

And if the LCD screen is important to you - choose the camera model sporting the screen you like.

I don't know, but I don't really care. For me the LCD is just a confirmation that I got the shot I wanted and that the exposure is approximately correct. I mostly shoot in RAW so I can change WB, saturation, contrast, sharpness etc. when I do the conversion.

I really have no need for a camera with a higher resolution LCD display. I guess it would be nice, but it's pretty low on my priority list when it comes to things I'd like to see added to EOS DSLRs.

I suppose tilt and swivel LCD screens will be coming to DSLRs soon too (Sony already have a swing out LCD). Again it's a feature I'm not salivating over, though given the choice between a tilt and swivel LCD or a high resolution LCD, I'd probably take the tilt and swivel!

I suspect we might see more innovative LCD designs once LiveView modes start allowing DSLRs to shoot movies, which is another feature I expect to start seeing on consumer and prosumer DSLRs before too long. We're 90% of the way there right now with contrast detection focusing and electronic shutters. Throw in some hardware based downsizing circuitry and shooting low-medium resolution movies sounds like an easy and logical step.

G'day John,<p><i>I have been using canon equipment for the past 10+ years and happy with the quality of there equipment</i><p>

I think that is all that matters...<br>Sure, I appreciate that the LCD on my Canon 5D is larger than either of my previous DSLRs, but the (apparent) lack of pixels doesn't particularly bother me. At best, it only needs to give me some indication of the histogram. I carefully frame the image through the viewfinder and don't have a need to re-check the composition on the LCD.<p> Of course, that is just my opinion.

Bob I understand but when you compare feature and High Tech Edge Canon will loose some business because of that as the case with the cruise line, and as a marketing strategy you want to have the best product in terms of quality and future against you competitors.

Canon been buying in their LCDs from Sony (just look at any pictures of a partly disassembled Canon DSLR), as too have Nikon, who decided to go for the higher resolution screen. Canon have OLED technology waiting in the wings - then you can expect their screens to outdo the competition - but that may be a year or two away, depending on which rumour/Canon statement you believe. I'm inclined to think it is still a way off as they only announced a JV with Hitachi on this last month:

http://thefutureofthings.com/headline/1995/hitachi-canon-to-develop-oled-cameras.html

I doubt that Canon is targeting the cruise photography market with any of its cameras! I suppose some sales could be made on the basis of LCD quality, but you can't put every feature on every camera. You have to balance features and cost to give you what you think is the best marketing strategy. It's possible that the $500 lower price of the 40D over the D300 gets more sales than a better LCD would.

I use LCD to check histogram (I'd like to check sharpness as well but I can't because only thumbnail of image is magnified). The most annoying thing is that when I look at the LCD I can see every single pixel. It could be smaller and have higher resolution.

All that matters to me is to have sufficient colour coding and other shape cues in the menus to mean that I can use them without having to put my reading glasses on. Font size matters more than pixel count. I guess years of using film means I concentrate on other means to get my exposure right than checking the histogram (like using good metering technique). I can happily read the viewfinder information which is presented at distant focus (and the diopter adjustment can help too). Avoiding chimping gives a longer battery life too.

My lil A640 has a brighter screen, not much more but the swivel,tilt and fold it face in to avoid damage and nose prints handy, Q tho, is there a reason one could not change the LCD for a higher resolution if the same size? or why not just plug in a larger LCD if required like an 8inch portable one like in vehicles :)

I also never felt the need to check exposure after using film camera but after some time I've noticed it's pretty useful. I don't always have time to set perfectly correct exposure and if you use flash in auto mode you never really know what will come out of it. I just feel better if I have a histogram confirmation when I take important pictures.

I thought I read somewhere that Nikon counted its pixels differently to Canon, something like counting each of the R, G and Bs separately such that that the two were not directly comparable. I thought when they were compared on the same footing Nikon screens still had an edge over Canon but not nearly as dramatic as 922 000 to 230 000 pixels.