How to dodge and burn with Photoshop?

I read some books and these are what I know and they have some problems. Painting with black and white on a soft

light or overlay layer, duplicating background layer and changing blending mode to screen or multiply. They are

simple and easy. But, the problem is that those they increase saturation.

And.. I just want to share and hear from others what kind of dodge and burn technique they use. Any comments are

appreciated.

1 Dodge burn tools easily available . Select darks, mids, or lights to suit subject

2 Use the 50% grey layer and paint black white on it. Affects all tones equally.

http://www.thelightsrightstudio.com/tutorials-video.htm

3 Using a luminosity mask. Self masking for different tones. Google Luminosity masking and select Tony Kuyper site. There are also others, but his is the best. I would provide a link, but the site is down right now. There will be other entries, but his is the most comprehensive.

There are three starting with the most basic

<p>The most precise dodge/burn technique is using curves. Lasso the area loosely, then adjust using a curves

adjustment layer set to "Luminosity" mode. Fine tune using the mask and/or adjusting opacity.</p>

<p>If you use the dodge and burn tools in PS, it's best to use them on a layer set to "Luminosity". Then you

won't have the saturation issues.</p>

<p>Using the soft light/overlay method affects all tones equally. I find it good for large areas of even

tonality. But if there are mixed tones and I want to just affect the highlights, for example, I prefer the d/b

tools or the curves method described above.</p>

Dodge and Burn should affect saturation-- it did in the wet labs.

The overlay layer and using grey brushes has a more slight effect on the image as far as color shifts and saturation increase/decrease. At least it's never bothered me, but I only need to dodge/burn from about 40 lum to 65 lum. You said black and white-- you should be using greys.

I will use 2 answer form user;

"..The most precise dodge/burn technique is using.." & "..a 50% gray layer set to softlight. Softlight will affect the

saturation less than overlay. .."

use the brush tool with black as the color to burn, white to dodge. You can even create 2 layer and have the effect on

there own layer. Doing this i like to set my brush to 50% opacity that give me more control and more room to play.

I will show you a example later when i arrive home..im on a photoshoot now on location : )

Two ways:

New layer.

With the dodge/burn tool pic a large brush (large enough to do the area in one or two passes. Then change the opacity of the layer to 50% or around there. This should make the edges less defined, but you may need to paint over a few time so get the desired effect.

New layer.

Where it says normal in the layers palet use the drop donw menu to select multiply (to darken) or screen (to lighten). Then take a large brush with low opacity to make a layer mask over the area that you want unchanged in the original. (Alternatively fill the whole mask with black then paint the desired effect into areas using a white brush.)