which cheap flash to work as slave with studio lights

goulden

hi

I have a two head bowen setup but would like to add a couple of cheap hotshoe type flashes to work as slaves to

light up backgrounds etc.

any advice on which (and why) basic flash with manual control and a slave ability would be a good buy?

The industry standard for over 20 years in terms of a cheap, simple, reliable shoe mount flash has been the Vivitar 285HV (or the earlier 283). You have to attach a peanut slave or Pocket Wizard just as with any other flash. key question is whether this or any other shoe mount flash will have enough power to compete with the Bowen head. Depends on what you're trying to light and how bright. I have used a Vivitar as a hair light -- hanging only about two feet above the subject's head from a boom -- in conjunction with Novatrons, so it can be done.

I use a 285 for a background light and another one for a hairlight with my Genesis 400 studio lights.

I would however suggest that if you are going to use a slave to set them off you check it out if at all possible as I have two peanut slaves that do not work at all with either my 285's or my 283. John

I'm not familiar with the Sunpak 383, so I won't comment other than to say Sunpak is a recognized, fine brand. I will also

reccomend the Vivitars. They are very versatile, reliable, and dirt cheap. You can use them just like studio strobes in that you can

set them to put out a certain, definite amount of power instead of relying on the unit's reflective meter which will give you a slightly

different amount of power each time unless your subject remains frozen in place. Need more power? Use two together.