D70s with SB-800

manish_nawani

I have D70s and 1 speedlight SB-800. I know how to use it in wireless mode but i don't get nicely exposed pictures.

Please give me your sugession how should i use this flash to get creative and good results in wireless mode. It will

be great if you give me some examples of images shot with 1 wireless speedlight - SB-800. Because this is what i

want to learn.

Mani

The best way to help you is to first know:

1) How are you using it NOW? Meaning, what exposure settings are you using on the camera, and in what way are you using the commander feature to operate the flash (Manual, TTL, etc?).

2) How are you using the flash... is it directed at the subject, being bounced off of a reflector, etc?

You might also provide a scaled-down example image here in this thread so that we can determine more about what's going on.

Most wireless flash set ups involve multiple flashes; 2 to 3 is very common.

Essentially you need a main light, a fill light on the opposite side and perhaps a background light.

Your SB-800 should come with a sample booklet that shows some set ups.

If you only have one external flash, you can try the combo with your pop-up flash. Place your SB-800 on one side of

the subject and use a reflector on the opposite side.

I found this blog over the weekend;

http://nikonclspracticalguide.blogspot.com/2008/01/nikon-flash-two-separate-metering.html

It's very informative describing how a Nikon DSLR will interact with a dedicated flash.

You may be able to recognize some of the situations he describes, and relate them to your incorrectly exposed images.

As mentioned above, you could also provide a sample image, and set up and exposure info. This may result in

direct feedback, or a solution for you.

As Shun says, it's unlikely that the lighting will be very good with just one off-camera flash; you'd probably

need two or more. You could bounce it but that might not be very different from on camera or possibly try a

reflector to reduce shadows.

We had some discussion about using the pop-up flash on the D70/s on this forum a while ago and I'm now convinced

that it is not intended to provide useful light when in commander mode. I found the following on the Nikon UK

web site:

"Note that when using the 'Commander mode' On the D70/ D70s the built-in flash will not be used to light the

subject, only to control the other flash units. However, some light from the built-in flash may be seen in the

final image."

I can't include the link - it's far too long.

Ken Rockwell says the same thing under "Using on-camera flash for lighting the image":

http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/ittlslave.htm

This means that it's even more difficult to manage with just one CLS remote flash and a D70s.