Exposure and Saturation customization on a 40D

victormora

I was reading a pretty good article for newbies (like myself) on

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/camera-adjustments.htm . He say to try and customize the exposure compensation

-2/3 and saturation +4 . I am trying to do it on my 40D, but when i get to the customization part with the

"Styles" button I can tinker with sharpness, contrast, saturation and tone, but nothing about exposure compensation!

I know I can change EC on the camera, but i would like to have automatic controlled underexposure by just

choosing one of my custom option on the dial (C1,C2,C3).

Thanks for your answers!

You change the exposure compensation with the wheel on the back of the 40D. You can see it in both the viewfinder or the window on the top of the camera(Looks something like this - IIIIII|IIIIII) with right of center equal plus and left of center minus. I think Rockwell is all wet on this one but it really depends on the look you are trying for. I don't think he has used a 40D. I'm aware that he has a 5D and an XTi, The 40D has the most accurate and intelligent meter I have so far used in a digital camera. I don't dial any EC in the way I did 1/3 to 2/3 on the 20D. This all presupposes you are shooting jpeg of course. I shoot raw most of the time so it isn't as relevant. There are good reasons for using EC since the world isn't 18% gray. You need to give + plus exposure to predominately white or very light things and - minus exposure to black or very dark things to render them correctly. A good basic book on exposure and RTFM might be more helpful than Ken Rockwell who I enjoy immensely. Good luck.

I can see how dialing in -2/3 EC would give a desired look on these landscape images. It saves data in the sky and

give a deeper color. Your shadows suffer greatly but that is another topic. However scenses that have a lot more or

a lot less sky in them will not work out so well as the base meter reading will be very different.

I guess all I am saying is that while it is a Formula that will work on certain scense and would be worth a shot for

a "newbie". it is simply not going to work for you all the time.

>>>"The 40D has the most accurate and intelligent meter I have so far used in a digital camera." <<<

Accurate, ok maybe...intelligent, I don't see where it is any better/different. Maybe that is just my error but I have

become a solid believer in the use of a good Incidental light meter. I like the Sekionic line myself.

Jason