What lenses do YOU use for Weddings?

heather_p1

I try to get as wide as I can.

<br>

I shoot 99% with 16-35 II and 70-200 f2.8 IS but I bring along the 24-70, 135 f2, 50 f1.4 and a Zeiss 60 mm Macro

on a Canon adapter.<br>

I just added the 14-24 Nikon and a D700 to the kit and a few other ED Glasses.

<br><br>

<i>"Do you stick with Canon"</i>

<br>

No. I stick with whatever gives me best quality and flexibility.

It really all depends on what I think I will need for a particular wedding.

Standard kit: Canon

17-40 4.0L,

24-70 2.8L,

85 1.8,

135 2.0L,

extras - 24 1.4L or 35 1.4L,

50 1.4L

Standard kit: Nikon

20-35 2.8D,

35-70 2.8D,

70-200 2.8VR,

50 1.4,

85 1.4,

Extras - 35 2.0 & 28-70 2.8AFS

My 17-55 2.8 (Nikon) stays on my camera 95% of the time. My assistant uses another lens and a 70-200 2.8. Occasionally, I will switch to a 35-70 2.8 and a macro for closeups of the rings.

As to K Cooper's question- I use an assistant. When he's not there, I use two bodies, one with each of the two main lenses I use. A lot of times, I'll switch cameras with him so I can use the 70-200. Since they're the same camera and we keep the ISO the same and shoot in manual, there's no difference. It's far better than switching lenses at beach weddings :) I bring three camera bodies to weddings, one for each of us and one backup or to switch things off. I'll keep an 18-200 on there for quick grab shots.

75% of my shots are taken with a Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 on a 5D. I have a Canon L 24-70 f/2.8 as a back-up (the Tamron is sharper at f/2.8, flares less, and weighs less). Depending on the situation the rest of my shots are taken with a Canon 50mm f/1.4, Canon 85mm f/1.8, Tamron 17-35 f/2.8-4, or Tamron 70-200 f/2.8. There are 3 bodies in my case, but I rarely carry more than one at a time, unless I know I'm going to need another one, and won't be near the case.

I work in the wedding industry so I see many wedding photographers. I see set ups ranging from a consumer grade

cameras with a kit lens to the more common 5D 24-70 or 24-105 + 70-200 2.8. I also know many who say they are

switching to Nikon for the better low light performance.

Not all use all Canon, the photographers I saw last night used Canon 5Ds ( 2 shooters with 2 bodies each ) 24-70 L and

they used Sigmas for the long zooms.

I usually carry two bodies on me while I'm shooting but lately I've been pairing down to one body and three or four lenses.

I bring at least three or even four bodies for backup but I'm just tired of carrying gear around. I like to concentrate on composition rather than my sore shoulders or even lugging around the waist belt with pouches. I either carry a small bag with three lenses or a waist pouch or two. It changes depending on how I feel and what I think I'll really need.

I will say, ever since I got my D300 I have shot with that only and a couple of zooms. I do always carry though my 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 in case I want to go prime.

Lou

Lens choice would depend on whether one was shooting primarily with a full frame or a crop frame camera, and whether one prefers to shoot with wide or long lenses. Change either one of those and the lens of preference changes.

I shoot primarily with two Canon crop bodies, and prefer wides. Mostly I use a 17-55 f/2.8 IS. I also use a Tokina 10-17 fisheye, Tokina 12-24, and Canon 100mm f/2. On rare occasions I use a Canon 70-300. I have sworn off any more Sigmas until I'm sure they have gotten their AF issues addressed.

For the ceremony I carry both bodies, one always with the 17-55, and the other with either something longer or shorter depending on what I think I will need next.

I definitely stick with Canon, I tried a Sigma once and after 2 years of use the AF quit working and the aperture worked only at 2.8

Lenses I use for Weddings: 17-40 f.4L, 24-70 2.8L, 70-200 2.8 L, 200 2.8L.

Bodies: 2 20Ds, a 30d and a 40d.

I usually have 2 bodies with me at all times and during the ceremony I'll put a third in my wife's hands and have her shooting from an angle

other than the angles I'm shooting, sometimes she shoots from the balcony while I shoot from below. I have a fourth body with me as well

if I should need it.

Based on using a FF system:

16-40 type range on one camera as primary use. 85 ish, on the other.

I add fisheye or super wide for fun.

Recently, using Nikon, I have used a Tokina 50-135/2.8 for one body during the daylight hours on a D300. Love the images I am getting and the weight/range is great. Not sure why I like this one so much but I grab it long before the 70-200/Vr. Probably the weight/balance combined with accuracy and the images produced with it.

When the light goes, its the 85/1.4 or 1.2 on the Canon.

I use 2 cameras (400D); normally one with Tokina 16-50mm F2.8 and the other with 70-200mm F4L.

The Tokina is mainly used for tight spaces and indoor weddings. However for outdoor weddings, I love using the 24-

105mm F4L IS. For the 16/17 - 50/55 mm range and since price is not a matter to you, I strongly recommend the

Canon 17-55mm F2.8IS. The IS will definitely help you on the camera shake.

I used to rent the 70-200mm F2.8L before, but most of my clients did not like the ideas of having too much

background blur. Hence, I bought the 70-200mm F4L, which is lighter and a lot cheaper to make them happy.

Back to your question, the price is not a matter, assuming you're on crop body Canon camera and don't like to

change lenses so often, here are my wish list for lenses and others:

1. Canon 17-55mm F2.8 IS - for those reasonably thigh space or/and low light condition.

2. Canon 24-70mm F2.8L - for outdoor or/and where space it not a problem.

3. Canon 70-200mm F2.8L IS - when you cannot get near the subjects or portraits.

4. Canon 50mm F1.2L - portraits.

5. Canon 580EXII.

6. Canon ST-E2 - help you to focus in low light but without flash or/and wireless flashes.

7. Manfrotto carbon monopod.

I tried Canon lenses and they just didn't work for me. I went out and bought a pile of "L" glass and found no use for them. I was surprised, not one of them would fit on my D200! I ended up giving them to one of the neighbor kids.

Seriously . . . Sigma 18-125 (Primary lens on my camera with flash and bracket.)

Tamron 28-105f2.8

Nikon 50f1.8 (My 50f1.4 was just stolen!)

Nikon 80-200f2.8

There is more in my bag, but I wouldn't miss them if I didn't bring them with me.

Ed

The gear that's working for me:

2x 5D + 24-105 F4 IS L + 70-200 F4 IS L + 50 F1.4 + 15mm Fish-eye

I did try the 24-70 2.8 and the 70-200 F2.8 IS, but I 've found myself rarely using the 2.8 since at this aperture, one never has 2 persons sharp at the same time. The benefit of having IS in the 24-105 range gives me plenty of room in the dark church area's. I'm planning to get a 135 F2 for the typical afternoon sessions.

Jeff