pz 1 35mm camera , should i get it?

petrina_yyuen

I have the chance to get the pz 1 / pz 1p for very cheap, its in good condition and comes with the 28-80mm FA SMC

and flash. Its going for a really good price ( like $150 singapore $)

Anyone know anything about this camera? Is it too big? is it very heavy?

Im new to photography and i only have a digital and film point and shoot. My film point and shoot is really old and

starting to act up.

im also planning to get a dslr (the k200d) soon. Should i keep my money and buy a better film point and shoot and

invest the $150 in better lenses? or just so ahead and get both the pz 1 and the dslr.

Hi Petrina

the PZ-1 was the flagship in its category of Pentax autofocus film cameras with a later better model (p) and is a

very capable but also heavy body and as far as I have heard quite loud in operation.

Details can be found at: http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/Z-PZ/zpz1p.html as well as a ton of other

informations about all Pentax equipment. The zoom has a usable reach but quality wise it is told to be one of the

weaker lenses. A fiixed prime like a F/FA-tpye 50mm would be a great start but these lenses are quite expensive

nowadays even used. Some members of pnet still use this camera and will be more helpful and .... Anyway, all

K-mount lenses that fit this camera would later work on a digital body like the K200D as well. What kind of flash

would you get with the camera, a Pentax "FTZ"-type or one with a "T" in the name?

I recommend having a look at the Pentax MZ5n Petrina. Without knwoing more details from you I guess that this

could be a better choice. It's much lighter and also a very capable and easy to understand body. Details here:

http://www.bdimitrov.de/kmp/bodies/MZ-ZX/mzzx5n.html and I am sure some pnet members will tell you more soon :-

) The FTZ flash you mentioned is fine on a film body but only of restricted use with manal mode later with a

DSLR. "T" models have "auto" modes where a sensor on the flash controls the light amount and are therefore more

useful on a digital body later because the internal flash protocol changed from analog to digital P-TTL on for example

the K200D.

Petrina, Both cameras are nice and I've owned both. Personally the PZ-1 is by far the better camera. I also had the newer PZ-1p and still think the first Pz-1 was slightly better featured. It's really not that heavy. You can't go wrong getting it and if after a time, you decide to sell the camera with the lens and flash, you'll get your money back or even make a few dollars. Make sure you ask the seller for the manual. They are available online but you will need it at least for the first week to understand all the custom features of the camera.

I would strongly recommend this camera to anyone that likes to shoot film.

I bought a PZ-1P about six months ago to play around with my FA limited lenses on film. It is an excellent camera. If you want a full featured AF Pentax film camera I'd have no hesitation recommend it . I actually prefer the ergonomics of it over my k10/ k20d. As long as it's in good shape you won't lose any money.

/Roger

Petrina, the MZ-5n does have auto focus. Its also very simply laid out, so if you're stepping up from a point and shoot, the MZ-5n is a great camera to build your technique on.

The deal you are getting is also pretty good. You get all that you need to start photographing.

By the way, I'm going to Singapore and want to do some camera shopping. Can you give me any tips on where to go, what to be careful of, etc.

Thanks.

sure best place to go is perninsula center, in the basement and first floor are two popular shops, rons camera and cathay camera shops. next door is perninsula hotel which has ruby camera store, these are popular.

Nothing much to be careful about, but ask them to throw in freebies if possible .

thanks everyone

Great. Thanks a lot. When I was googling for stores, Cathay Photo came up. I'm actually looking for a K200D as

well. Have you done any window shopping around for the K200D. I mean, do you know what kind of deals (price,

freebies etc.) they have on it right now?

I didn't read your original question carefully before. You asked "Should i keep my money and buy a better film

point and shoot and invest the $150 in better lenses?"

I think once you get your DSLR, you wont want to play with your SLR, 'unless' it offers something unique. Have

you considered a camera dating from pre auto focus era, like the K1000 or MX. Both are wonderfully built, and

their full mechanical operation is very satisfying.

The MZ-5n would also be a great choice, and does offer autofocus as well as nearly every other important feature (except mirror lockup). Autofocus is nice but I wouldn't worry too much about the need to learn to focus manually--it is quite intuitive once you put a SLR viewfinder to your eye. There is a similar manual-focus-only body (MZ-M / ZX-M) available.

The PZ-1 is on the large and heavy side for a Pentax but not ridiculously so--lighter and shorter (in height) than a K10D or K20D, for example. It is full-featured and is a frequently-mentioned favorite of several forum members. Assuming that the kit is in good condition, the price (~USD $107) sounds pretty good to me. Even if the lens and flash are not your best long-term options, they should serve you well while learning and you ought to be able to resell them later (probably for a small profit) if you want to upgrade.

I have both the PZ-1 and the MZ. The PZ-1 is built like a tank, it still works, but my MZ died about 5 years ago now. There are also some documented problems with the film advance in some of the MZ cameras.

If I had a choice, it would be the PZ-1. Yes, you can download the manual from the Pentax web site, and it's not that hard to figure it out.

LGH

The PZ-1p offers significant improvements over the original PZ-1. Such as mirror lockup with the 2 sec self timer, faster FPS film advance, much better metering display, and a host of others. It was the most advanced Pentax AF film model. It is one fine camera. I do not know the common prices in your area, but I have seen the PZ-1p, in apparently fine condition, go on ebay for around $150- $200, sometimes with a lens included.

I'm also looking at one on ebay. I'm looking for a camera to take faster sport action photos. I like the price but I'm not sure between Canon EOS 1V, T2 or this PZ1. It won't go with my other Pentax lenses but I've purchased a AF 70-300mm recently. This partiuclar doesn't come with a lense. So, I would only have one lense to fit it. Most people seem to recommend the Canon EOS to get my sport event pictures the others say the T2 would be fine. This is all confusing.